Barge/Cabin Build on The Sabine River, East Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve A W said:
Wow :!: :!:
That place will be a great getaway.

Steve A W

It already is! The only people you see is if someone is passing by in a boat. It is pure wilderness, away from everything except God and nature. :wink:

I should have clarified.... we didn't hunt "from" the barge/cabin. It was just our home for the week. Was about a 1/2 hour ride out to where it was moored and then we took the 3 small boats to various shore blinds & hides to hunt.

On all rivers and lakes around me you cannot moor or anchor any vessel long term unless it's a private lake or a commercial entity has water rights and permits for off shore mooring. Needless to say they charge plenty for for those sites.

duckfish said:
I should have clarified.... we didn't hunt "from" the barge/cabin. It was just our home for the week. Was about a 1/2 hour ride out to where it was moored and then we took the 3 small boats to various shore blinds & hides to hunt.

On all rivers and lakes around me you cannot moor or anchor any vessel long term unless it's a private lake or a commercial entity has water rights and permits for off shore mooring. Needless to say they charge plenty for for those sites.

I understand. Thank you for clarifying. I bet that was a really cool trip! 8)
I'm sure those permits are rather pricey. :shock:

Well, I am waiting on one of the Owners to send me a few pics of them hauling materials and the carport down river. Surely he cannot be that busy working on that old oil rig to send me a few pics. :wink:

In the mean time, I am going to go ahead and post a few that were made recently. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20141123_152309.jpg
    IMG_20141123_152309.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_20141123_152327.jpg
    IMG_20141123_152327.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 723
Added Note:

Spot the old leaning tree on the right. Look at the water level from last November 23rd to March 20th. This is what I mentioned earlier about how the water level fluctuates. On this day, the level had already dropped about 3 feet from the day before. Thus, the weights on the tie offs.

Yeppers....that "south paw" is our son-in-law! :D

Early morning 3.21.2015. Coffee, venison sausage & egg southern style breakfast burritos.
Catch y'all up river! 8)

Attachments

• 3.21.2015 Barge7.jpg
    3.21.2015 Barge7.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 723
Chapter 4:
Carport built; inside framed; electrical; insulation; ceiling; windows & door; painting; trim and inside wood stove.
Fall and Winter 2014
Jan & Feb 2015
Barge Carport on.JPGBarge inside front wall.JPG

MAN !! I tell you wot - Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn ain't got NUTHIN on YOU !!!!

40 years ago, this was legal down in the Florida Keys. But now, with all the growth
and private land being gobbled up, they are all gone.
And yes, so many laws now in so many states . . . you are sooooo LUCKY !!!

AWESOME JOB !!!

bobberboy said:
We could never do that in MN. There are probably a hundred laws to prevent doing something that cool.

That is a shame. The way I see it is that promotes Family Time. No TV, No play stations, ect....

Lowe 2070 CC said:
Awesome!

These are in Palmyra Lake, a Mississippi River oxbow.

I have heard of these! Thanks for sharing their locations. I'd like to look a little closer on a google map. I've heard of several different ones throughout the country. Some look like little neighborhoods. :)

Barefoot_Johnny said:
MAN !! I tell you wot - Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn ain't got NUTHIN on YOU !!!!

40 years ago, this was legal down in the Florida Keys. But now, with all the growth
and private land being gobbled up, they are all gone.
And yes, so many laws now in so many states . . . you are sooooo LUCKY !!!

AWESOME JOB !!!

Yes Sir, lucky we are. Our son-in-law and 2 friends built this, and we get to play on it. 8) Lucky.....more like blessed. :wink:

I find it very sad that our values have changed so drastically. I remember a time when getting to go fishing, or swimming, with dad, mom, grand dad, or whoever, was cherished. That's what this barge is all about.....making cherished memories!

As Texas has had so much rain the past few weeks, and severe thunderstorms with high winds the past few days, we took a ride down the river yesterday to see about any damage.

The first barge (belongs to a friend) had a log jam behind it. We cleared that one and went on down. We came across a HUGE tree that was blocking the river. It has branches and other "trash" jammed up. Pushed it with 2 boats and got it to one side. Anchored it to a tree on land with cable, in hopes that when the river goes down, the tree will swing up against the land and stay put.

These pics I took yesterday. Man that river is running fast! Muddy too! More rain and thunderstorms last night. (10 am the sun shining and 82*; 2:30 pm clouds building, overcast, thunderstorms are coming...time to get off the river!)

We hauled out pieces of scrap wood and a few other things that the boys are through with. Will help our son-in-law haul the a/c and stainless for the counter tops as soon as the storms let up.

Enjoy the pics!
M
Tyler, Texas
4.17.2015 Barge4.jpg4.17.2015 Barge2.jpg4.17.2015 Barge3.jpg4.17.2015 Barge1.jpg4.17.2015 Barge5.jpg4.17.2015 Barge8.jpg4.17.2015 Barge9.jpg