Barge/Cabin Build on The Sabine River, East Texas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nowgrn4 said:
Y'all OK with all the storms?

Thank you for asking. Rain, rain, rain! I've never seen it like this before. Unbelievable!

We are ok, but our neighbors south and east aren't doing so well. Rivers and lakes are flooded; huge oak trees down; another tornado has hit a small town about 35 miles SE from us this evening.
Thoughts & Prayers for them and people still missing just outside of Houston in a flash flood yesterday. [-o<

Thank you again. That is very kind of you.
M
Tyler, Texas

5.30.2015:

Our boys have gone down the river to see about the barge, and other barges as well. The Sabine is out of it's banks. They will be bringing pics back. I will post as soon as I can. My goodness, and it's raining again. :shock:
M

Sunday, 5.31.2015
Beautiful Day! The Sabine River is out of it's banks; 29.2' and suppose to crest tomorrow at 29.9' (without anymore rain). I took these pics from the barge.
Previous pics show the bent tree, the ropes and cables tied off. These pics indicate them as they are right now. The barge is literally in the tree tops. So far, all barges are ok and secured.

BTW: The bass boat with the big Yamaha is our son-in-laws boat, too. :mrgreen: Funny to see a big boat on the river. :shock: Way too much fun to ride in too! :mrgreen:

Enjoy the pics.
IMG_20150531_160424.jpgIMG_20150531_160431.jpgIMG_20150531_160504.jpgIMG_20150531_161813.jpgIMG_20150531_160524.jpgIMG_20150531_162013.jpg

River is higher than it has been in years. It called out the River Rats! :LOL2: More boats on the river yesterday than I have ever seen. Was easy to launch.....from the parking lot. :shock: Both ramps are way under water at the Hwy 14 river Bridge at Hawkins, Texas. (Sorry, I didn't take any pics of that....but I will.)

Friday 6.19.2015:
We went down river and helped our son-in-law.
They got the A/C in! Just in time for these 90*+ days of the hot Texas sun!

Had to tie a boat up close and tight to the back of the barge so as to put a ladder up. Got it insulated with spray foam; caulked and trimmed out (on the outside). The generator was running the A/C good. It had that cabin cooled down within 15 minutes. The kids stayed all weekend, and are still down there. We came out Friday afternoon. They were suppose to trim the inside and do other trim work. We'll see! :wink: Our daughters are with them, so I'm sure there were a few cold beers drank, along with some kind of blue juice. :LOL2: (It was a no kid weekend.....they are at their other grandparents). Guess they are all ok. They haven't phoned home for help, or food, or beer, or gas, or another motor, or anything else.
I love having grown kids! 8)

We hauled out the saw horses and a few other tools that they no longer need down there.

That just leaves the stainless for the counter top on the inside, and the fish cleaning station. So very proud of our kids and what they have accomplished! =D> =D> =D>

Notice in the last pic where the bent tree is now. Hard to believe 3 weeks ago we were up in those tree tops. :shock: The river was between 13' and 15' Friday. It comes up fast, and drops fast.
6.19.2015 ac in3.jpg6.19.2015 ac in4.jpg6.19.2015 ac in5.jpg6.19.2015 ac in.jpg6.19.2015 ac in2.jpg

UPDATE: 6.21.2015

No, they did not get all the trim done. I'm pretty sure they had a Large Time! :LOL2:

COOL! Apparently it was......the girls had to get comforters out. According to them, the guys had it cold enough to hang meat! :LOL2: Glad to know that A/C is working good. =D>

Great kids! Cooked steaks here this afternoon, for Fathers' Day. :D

I'm REALLY impressed by the advance planning of tying that rig off long before the Sabine rose!

The dramatic rise in the water level is not something most folks would have predicted, and yet your bunch had the foresight to anticipate far-beyond the normal change in water height.

Nicely done.

You run with some solid people.

=D> =D> =D>

Kismet said:
I'm REALLY impressed by the advance planning of tying that rig off long before the Sabine rose!

The dramatic rise in the water level is not something most folks would have predicted, and yet your bunch had the foresight to anticipate far-beyond the normal change in water height.

Nicely done.

You run with some solid people.

=D> =D> =D>

What a compliment! :D I'll pass that on to our kiddos. :mrgreen:
You, of all people, know how quickly the Sabine can rise and fall. :wink:

Sorry it has taken me so long to finish this thread. These are the pics of the final product, including stainless counter tops and a stainless sink. The water to the sink runs off a 12v pump, just like a water pump in an RV. River water is used for cleaning fish; the twist of a handle switches it to fresh water. All fresh water is hauled in and used sparingly.

The porch bench was custom made by one of the guys. It folds out into a picnic table with benches on both sides. Works swell!

I hope you have enjoyed this build, as I have surely enjoyed posting for your enjoyment. Our kids and grand kids are truly enjoying their barge, and we are as well.

Happy Trails from the Lone Star State of Texas! \:D/
IMG_20160325_155709.jpgIMG_20160325_155730.jpgIMG_20160325_161025.jpgIMG_20160325_161426.jpg

How did y'all fair after the flood? We got hammered in Katy, bad flooding.

Our church almost went under.
3a6f5384a0cf8a69792776f860bde840.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk