Battery Terminals

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the terminals have caps? My battery LiFePO battery came with them. If not you can add them to your cables.

Your battery has screw downs, but I generally strap mine anyway, for ease of getting in and out.

Interesting. Do you think I would run afoul of the DNR for not having a marine-type enclosure? This is IL after all. lol
I was unaware that you have to use a special box. I was thinking more about spillage. I don't use a box for my fish finder battery, but it is a sealed unit type. I'm going to look up the price of this battery box. Expensive?

Figure a way to protect rhe exposed terminals so a short doesnt happen if something contacts them both at the same time. That is the primary reason for a battery box. In the past, a box was needed for spilliage from the wet cells. This looks like a tough case, so perhaps keeping the terminals covered should work. In Ohio they don't write you a ticket for not having a battery box, but they can spend a long time telling you why you should have one!!
The safety inspection may not get you a sticker if the battery has exposed terminals, but you won' t go to jail...lol
Lol

I kind of figured it was just to protect the terminals more than anything and with this battery being waterproof, I jerry-rigged the old battery box topper onto the new battery last night. Actually worked well! Found a buckle strap and strapped it all together. It almost looks like they were made for each other! Almost. lol

Ill post a pic tonight when i get home from work.

Do the terminals have caps? My battery LiFePO battery came with them. If not you can add them to your cables.

Your battery has screw downs, but I generally strap mine anyway, for ease of getting in and out.
I do not caps.

I have mounts on the upright of the seat that the strap goes through to mount the cover and battery.

I was unaware that you have to use a special box. I was thinking more about spillage. I don't use a box for my fish finder battery, but it is a sealed unit type. I'm going to look up the price of this battery box. Expensive?
The box I would have needed for my battery was like $130. Hence my hunt for an alternative. lol

Have to admit not following this thread closely, but I got a series 27 battery which is a biggy and it fits a standard box with room to spare. If yours doesn't fit it seems to me you have the wrong type of battery.

Have to admit not following this thread closely, but I got a series 27 battery which is a biggy and it fits a standard box with room to spare. If yours doesn't fit it seems to me you have the wrong type of battery.
Not wrong, just different. My battery is lifepo4 and it is more square than rectangular.

Well if it won't fit in a CG approved box is it safe or legal to use in a boat? Why you using it, did you get it for free or something?

You don't need a box for that one. That's a nice battery, made for marine use. I didn't see that it came with it's own cover.

That looks great. Enjoy!

Latest posts