Battery tipped over and leaked.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogwood

Reaction score
One of my Walmart deep cycle trolling batteries tipped over while trailering the boat and some fluid leaked out. I didn't see much fluid spilled and when I open the vent covers and look, it appears that the plates are still covered with fluid, but barely. There is about a half inch of air space between the fliud and bottom of the vent hole wells. Should I add some distilled water?
Do they sell electolyte to add in a case like this?

I would not add electrolyte to a used battery unless it was extremely low. I would only add distilled water to it if the level was still above the plates. You don't want to change the specific gravity too much.

The batteries are in the plastic boxes that Walmart sells. The lid clips on. I think I need to make some wooden brackets to make sure the boxes don't tip over while trailering.

Do you have flooring (wood/metal) installed where the batts are? The trays I have tabs on the outside of them and the trays are screwed to the factory installed sheet metal flooring. The straps go around the trays and over the batteries. Mine have shifted inside the trays during transit, but they only move about 1/4" either way. I also cut some closed-cell foam into strips and put it under the batteries around the inside perimeter of the trays to cushion the ride.

Here's a pic of my setup and you can see the tabs on the battery tray. I've thought about getting the battery boxes, but I don't think my rear hatch will close then, as the boxes with lid are too tall.

Bilge_Pump_Install.JPG

Latest posts