Boat Insurance

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I got a 50/35 Johnson jet on the back of my Tracker Sportsman 1648, I'm looking into boat insurance. My old 5hp Johson ran like a top, but I was never concerned with tearing a hole in the hull with it. I got a message into my local insurance agent that I deal with for our cars and travel trailer. It's State Farm FWIW. Anything I need to know/consider before I sign up for a boat policy? What can I expect it to run me?

Wait a few months and Obama and friends will make it mandatory and make you a deal you cannot refuse.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332050#p332050 said:
PATRIOT » 10 minutes ago[/url]"]Wait a few months and Obama and friends will make it mandatory and make you a deal you cannot refuse.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Yeah, like some whipped cream on a steaming pile of BS, advertised as a hot fudge sundae :roll: :roll: :roll:

Big Terp, I have a policy on my jetboat through Geico/Seaworthy insurance, it costs me about 170 dollars a year.

Bear in mind my boat is heavily modified, nothing like a factory boat, so, being able to get insurance was a huge relief to me.

In a case like my boat, you would have to have a marine survey/evaluation done to determine the approximate value of the hull, including motor and trailer. But a factory boat shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I have done a good amount to my hull as well. It's far from a bare bones factory hull at this point. Plus the addition of the 50/35 Johnson jet that was bought dirt cheap and rebuilt to be like new. I talked a bit with my agents secretarty. She says they take all of that into account. She's suppose to give me a call back sometime today. I'm curious how they'll figure in all the "aftermarket" modifications I've made to my boat. Hell, I probably have almost as much $ in aluminum in the boat than I paid for the boat/trailer to begin with.

Aside from really mashing up the hull on the river, my biggest concern is something happening to it while it sits in my driveway. I have about 2 acres of land, with trees all along my driveway and back yard. Other than storing my boat dead center in my front yard, I can't get away from standing trees. I'm always worried a tree falling and targeting my boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332055#p332055 said:
BigTerp » Today, 14:12[/url]"]Thanks guys.

Yeah, I have done a good amount to my hull as well. It's far from a bare bones factory hull at this point. Plus the addition of the 50/35 Johnson jet that was bought dirt cheap and rebuilt to be like new. I talked a bit with my agents secretarty. She says they take all of that into account. She's suppose to give me a call back sometime today. I'm curious how they'll figure in all the "aftermarket" modifications I've made to my boat. Hell, I probably have almost as much $ in aluminum in the boat than I paid for the boat/trailer to begin with.

When I went to insure my boat, I listed the value at $12,500, as a guess-timate. Because my hull is a 1997, they said due to its age, a survey would have to be done first. I went through a company called "BUC" out of Florida, and it was a very simple and inexpensive process, I think I paid 45 dollars for my survey. They valued my boat at between 8100 and 9300 dollars. Geico insured me for $11,000, which was pretty close to what I had initially filled out. So, for a customized boat, you might want to look at doing a survey through a company like BUC to get the right value for your boat.

Aside from really mashing up the hull on the river, my biggest concern is something happening to it while it sits in my driveway. I have about 2 acres of land, with trees all along my driveway and back yard. Other than storing my boat dead center in my front yard, I can't get away from standing trees. I'm always worried a tree falling and targeting my boat.

My worry is some idiot driver plowing into the back of my boat on the highway, which, vehicle insurance will not cover. Not really much chance of totalling the hull out here in the saltwater, but if I ever go inland on some rivers where there are rocks, that insurance is a nice thing to have, just in case.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332051#p332051 said:
PSG-1 » Today, 11:49[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332050#p332050 said:
PATRIOT » 10 minutes ago[/url]"]Wait a few months and Obama and friends will make it mandatory and make you a deal you cannot refuse.

:roll: :roll: :roll: Yeah, like some whipped cream on a steaming pile of BS, advertised as a hot fudge sundae :roll: :roll: :roll:

Attachments

• Bologna.jpg
    Bologna.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 871
Bologna is a mild word to use for the agent saboteur's policies. I think the reason he spends so much time on golf courses is because they pay him to give his screeches, I mean, speeches, and they spread that BS out on the golf course lawn for fertilizer.

I have State Farm as well. I told them my boat was worth 5,000 and I paid 100.00 for the year. My dad had the same boat and he paid 95.00 for the year.

I have American Family and pay $117/year for $17,000 worth of coverage. Taking a boating safety course and having a Masters license gave me a 20% discount also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts