Boyenson Reeds/ OMC's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lil' Blue Rude said:
Talk to Chris Carson about a set of reeds. I'll bet you they won't brake at 7000rpms.

I agree...anyone else buildin one of these motors? Montff, any updates?

Not exactly. I've ordered a new old stock head off of ebay bc my old one had a threaded insert that was leaking. I am going to replace head with a stock, tune engine and rebuild fuel pump then log data. I'll plug weld the old head and tap new threads, then have it shaved, log data. Currently in search of 1966 20hp reed stops to convert to a 20hp, log data. Lastly going and polish ports. I'm slow but sol do. Any input?

Not exactly. I've ordered a new old stock head off of ebay bc my old one had a threaded insert that was leaking. I am going to replace head with a stock, tune engine and rebuild fuel pump then log data. I'll plug weld the old head and tap new threads, then have it shaved, log data. Currently in search of 1966 20hp reed stops to convert to a 20hp, log data. Lastly going and polish ports. I'm slow but sol do. Any input?

What is your boat? Its good to get baseline numbers before changing anything. Thats where im at with mine (finding a tach).

I agree with compression, then id look at carbs...I have 15, 18, 20 - all really close to the same carb with different mains. you gotta get exhaust out too when you increase the air and fuel.

I know, Im just reporting what i have seen with my eyes. venturi size all the same on these. the 15 has smaller diameter main, the 18 was larger and had 3 holes in it and the 20 same as 18 with only 2 holes. Sorry, im not a carb expert, so i don't know how or if these effect the motors. Age of motors was 1953 15, 1957 18 and 1969 20, which might matter also.

I probably have a similar boat...60's 14ft V weighs 360 rigged with motor

lakeracer99 said:
crazymanme2 said:
I raced 25SSH (which is a 1986 or newer 25hp Merc)& the preferred reed was stock.Mercs stock 25hp reeds are rubber coated.I have a brand new set of Boyenson that were free that I never ran because as Pappy said not as reliable.

Anyone have a set of composite reeds (glass or carbon) that they want to donate to my OMC fastwins (22ci and 31.8ci) or Merc Hurricanes (20ci and 22ci)...I will put them in my motor and you guys can tell me you where right when I go turning it 7k with glass reeds and they break like pappy said so.

I know you guys don't think much of us race guys, but there are good discussions on pumping up the fastwins on boatracingfacts and screamandfly...Bomber B1 is a hydroplane B class they were trying to get started using this motor platform. GT Pro and Mini GT are successful tunnel and V classes that use the later versions (31.8ci) of this motor also...Sport C was the class from the 80's using the 25 OMC motors also.

I am running a 1957 fastwin on a 14ft aluminum runabout and am getting around 27GPS with 12p. Motor is up 1/2in off the transom and going up to 1in soon.
I plan to raise the compression on one of my fastwins for a starting point. I have to get my tach working before I go anyfurther.

Have fun and post up some hard numbers guys!

I'm with the racers on this one. I'm not a big outboard guy but I have built and raced for that matter many many small bore two strokes. And I can say I have tried about every reed on the market and prehistoric steel ones never crossed my mind.

been silent long enough,,,

about 1year on the boysens power reeds, I'll say decision based on dollar factor. Not what I would use on a race motor, but did use them on this 81 modified 50hp Johnson.

I did the $49.95 + shipping to me. Fine tuning required!

My observation:
big difference in mid range; more throttle responsive
believe it or not,, a little better gas mileage
more RPM on top end (your prop combo will be a big factor in this)

I've done other mods,, keeping it on 89 octane level and so far very satisfied with them.

Disclaimer:
You alter from stock, you could have unpredictable results and more maintenance will be required!.

ditchen said:
Anyone else use these Boyson Power Reeds, or am I the only one? Your opinion??

as you can tell from above, I use them in my bigger racing motors. I will in my little 25 as soon as I get it up and running.