Camera Purchase/Battery Advice TOP 10 LIST

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender66

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals.

I've read several posts/complaints about short battery life and bad camera purchases that I thought this might deserve a post.

I've been making my living for the past 24 years as a professional photographer, and I've seen a lot of progress when it comes to digital photography. (actually....I've seen almost all of it) Anyway, here are a few tips for anyone that's looking to buy a digital camera. (assuming I'm qualified to give tips #-o )

1. Determine what your budget is (meaning how much you have to spend total on camera and accessories)
2. Pick a camera that has a rechargeable battery (NiCad or Litium Ion). The ones that use AA or AAA etc, go through batteries faster than you can take pictures. If you already have a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries, look into the rechargeable ones. It will save you some money, and they tend to last longer.
3. NOW, pick a camera that not only fits your budget, but with that budget, will allow you to buy a second battery (refer to rule # 2) and 2 memory cards. I say 2 memory cards because if you only have 1, it's sure to fail on you when you need it the most. ( i.e. 6lb hog and nobody around to confirm your catch)
4. Make sure you have a charger for your batteries
5. If you don't like the slow speeds of the cheaper cameras (due to slow processor speeds), the only way to overcome this is to buy a SLR (single lens reflex) camera. One with interchangeable lenses (much more expensive) Slow cameras are the ones that take a second or two to take the picture after you've pushed the button....and, they take a long time to load the image before you can take the next pic.
6. Buy a camera bag to hold your camera and accessories.
7. It's good practice to have a lens cleaning cloth in your bag. Fish juice and lenses don't work well together. If you have a lens that has a the ability to take a screw mount filter....buy a cheap UV filter and keep it on the lens always. Not only will it keep your glass clean, but it protects it from damage too.
8. Buy a camera bag to hold your camera and accessories. YES, deserves mentioning twice!
9. Pick a camera that has the zoom lens that will cover what your needs are. Keep in mind that digital zooms offered on a lot of cameras are good in a pinch, but don't give you as clear/good a picture. Large zip lock bags are recommended for storing your camera in (inside your camera bag) when in the boat. Camera bags get wet and cameras inside need protection from the water.
10. Here's a good website to compare features of cameras when considering a new purchase: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp This is the "side by side" comparison page of the website.

Happy shooting!

Good info, But one question? Why didn't you post that website last night? That is alot better for comparing than any thing I found last night, And I sure could have used it. I broke down and bought a pentax w90 for my wifes birthday next tuesday.

Pruitt1222 said:
Good info, But one question? Why didn't you post that website last night? That is alot better for comparing than any thing I found last night, And I sure could have used it. I broke down and bought a pentax w90 for my wifes birthday next tuesday.

Sorry Pruitt....guess timing is everything.....and I don't have much time. Is it too late to return and try again?

I think it will be ok, the olympus 6020 is a little better by comparison but had worse reviews. I think she will be happy, The pentax has alot higher iso speeds which will make up for the slow 1.27fps shooting speed. Basicly all she wanted anyway was a waterproof piont and shoot and this fills the bill and some.

Pruitt1222 said:
I think it will be ok, the olympus 6020 is a little better by comparison but had worse reviews. I think she will be happy, The pentax has alot higher iso speeds which will make up for the slow 1.27fps shooting speed. Basicly all she wanted anyway was a waterproof piont and shoot and this fills the bill and some.

I agree, and think you are right on track. I have to remind myself that "my standards" are much higher that they need to be for everyday use. The camera I use all day connects directly (USB) to my computer and every time I hit the shutter, it captures 67mb of information.

Best of luck, and I'm sure your wife will be pleased.

Waterwings said:
fender66 said:
...I've been making my living for the past 24 years as a professional photographer...

You're still eligible to enter the monthly photo contest. :) . What's your specialty?[/quote

I am looking forward to submitting something for the monthly contests. The problem I have is that I'm either behind the camera or working Photoshop for 40+ hours a week. When I leave work, I want to "leave work" if you know what I mean. The contests could be just what I need to motivate me outside of work.

My specialty....Hmmm....interesting choice of words. For the past 15 years, I've been director of Photography (fancy words for "One Man Show") for an engineering firm here in St. Louis called Hunter Engineering CO.. I'm solely responsible for all the brochure photos, trade show photos, print ads for magazines, graphic photos, and so on and on. If you are really interested in seeing some of my work...you can find it all over our website at: https://www.hunter.com

I'm pretty certain that it's not going to be all that interesting to most people, but it pays my bills and I'm fortunate enough to like my job. I'd still rather be fishing and not have the bills. When I figure out how to do that, I'll submit my last post with details to all you tinboaters.

I have found just the opposite to be true on the rechargeable batteries.

I can get a lot more pics out of a set of good alkaline batteries than I can my rechargeables. (I took over 300 pics last year at Disney before needing to replace them on a set of Duracells that had been in the camera for nearly 2 months already. :shock: ) The rechargeables lose their charge at such a rapid rate if you aren't using them, that they have to be constantly monitored/charged to be of any use when you get ready to use the camera. That may not be a big deal for someone that uses their camera and batteries a whole lot but for those of us that don't, it tends to be an issue.

The cameras with the "built in" rechargeables are a lot like a cell phone. You need some electricity onhand or you are out of luck when your battery goes down. I can pack extra AA's with me or pick them up pretty much anywhere in a pinch.

I guess it all boils down to your individual wants, needs and situation.

I can get a lot more pics out of a set of good alkaline batteries than I can my rechargeables. (I took over 300 pics last year at Disney before needing to replace them on a set of Duracells that had been in the camera for nearly 2 months already.

Quackr,

That's some good mileage on a set of "AA"s! I found I've had decent luck with the Energizer e2's in my wife's Pentax Optio E40 (point & shoot camera). The battery in my Nikon D3000 is the lithium ion type and it seems to go a longs ways. I dread replacing it (supposed to be good for about 500 recharges as I recall), but a new one costs around $50 from Nikon. :shock: . I have an older Fujifilm Finepix point & shoot that takes decent pics, just eats batts way too quickly.

I have had a Nikon D40x for over a year and I think I have only had to charge the battery twice. Can't beat that and I take a lot of photos :mrgreen:

alumacraftjoe said:
I have had a Nikon D40x for over a year and I think I have only had to charge the battery twice. Can't beat that and I take a lot of photos :mrgreen:

I bought a D40X for the wife and kids when they first came out several years ago. Same story.....Only charge them maybe twice a year. This camera usually is taking a couple thousand pics a year too.

Quackerstacker.....As for the rechargables not working for you, I honestly don't have an answer. I use them in my motor drives and radio slaves all day long for weeks at a time before recharging. I've even had times where I forget to turn equipment off over the weekend and they still work for me when I return. Maybe it's the brand of batteries. I just can't explain this one.

You did make a good point though that I should have included to my original post. IF you are using standard AA or AAA batteries for your cameras...you will ALWAYS get more mileage when you use an alkaline. I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.

alumacraftjoe said:

You must not use it much then. :LOL2: I have a D40x also it does last a long time but I say I have to charge it every other day or so of taking pictures. I also have a D300 it seems the battery don't last as long as the D40x but I can still get a lot of shots off of one charge. Less I'm doing night Shots. Then it might only last for a hour or two.

Waterfowler said:
alumacraftjoe said:

You must not use it much then. :LOL2: I have a D40x also it does last a long time but I say I have to charge it every other day or so of taking pictures. I also have a D300 it seems the battery don't last as long as the D40x but I can still get a lot of shots off of one charge. Less I'm doing night Shots. Then it might only last for a hour or two.

This camera usually is taking a couple thousand pics a year. It's constantly being used.