Can't kill engine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, I don't think that's going to work. The salmon has to go through the ign switch, then back through the kill button, then connect to ground.

There is only one terminal on the kill switch so I don't see how you could pass the salmon wire through it. The kill switch goes to ground till you press it then it's open.

I'm gettting ready to rewire the motor tomorrow. Normally I would solder the connections together, but I understand that it's better to crimp the splices. Is this correct?

The housing of your kill button functions as your second connector. The salmon wire is the incoming lead and the case/housing of the button is the outgoing source to ground.

Most here seem to advise on using crimp because of a stronger mechanical connection. I'm not really sure why you would want a strong mechanical vs a good electrical connection but that's what I'm seeing recommended here. I've never seen anything that I'd consider official in writing on the subject. And I've seen where some on here say that soldering can cause problems. Maybe it's a saltwater thing, but I spent 4 years working as an aviation electronics tech on an aircraft carrier (guaranteed exposure to saltwater) and we always soldered connections. I never saw any issues with soldered connections there.

I tackled the rewire today. Wasn't all that bad just took all day, guess it's a good thing I wasn't working on Flat Rate. :D The last wiring diagram that I posted looked just like the wiring for the motor once I got into it. Thers's a mag or stator not sure which but there are a pair of points inside of it. I took pictures as I took it apart so I could get it back together the same way. Did have to check a couple of times. All went well until I was cleaning up and putting the tools away. I found 2 screws that I forgot to put in. Looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure I know where they go. I have to take the top off again and go under the flywheel to fix my screw up. On well live and learn.

I searched over at iBoats and some other boat forums and the general thought was to use butt connectors, soidering because of the virbration causes the wire to fail just past the soider joint. With what I had to work with the butt connecters was much easier. I used the ones what have the heat shrink for the installation. They appear to seal up real nice.

BTW yesterday when I had the boat out the key switch would kill the engine when turned off. I removed the wire from the kill button as it was giving the ignition another way to ground, so you would have to turn the switch off and then press the button, the key switch had to be off for it to work. So when I did the rewire today I didn't include the kill button.

Here's some photos of before and after
https://gramps50.smugmug.com/Boats/Mercury-200-Rewire/21942701_wShkFs

Looks like you really needed that wiring redone and sounds like it all went pretty well for you. I see the outboard isn't the only older piece of equipment you own. Looks like a 62 skylark and about a 48 on the pickup.

JMichael said:
Looks like you really needed that wiring redone and sounds like it all went pretty well for you. I see the outboard isn't the only older piece of equipment you own. Looks like a 62 skylark and about a 48 on the pickup.

Boat fits right in desn't it? The Buick is the wive's and the 50 Chevy truck is mine. I also have an 86 Caprice Classic 2 door, never drive it and part of the deal for getting the boat was selling the Caprice.

The Buick and the Truck both ended up being work benches for the rewire.

Yea the wiring was pretty sad looking, it's a wonder that the motor even ran. All the shrink wrap on the wiring I did, until I decided to do the rewire. Left 2 important looking screws out so I have to find thier home this morning and then it's back on the boat and stick it in a tub of water and see if it still runs. :)

The motor rewire was a sucess, up until today the motor has been on the stand and I didn't even know if it would still run. Today I put the motor back on the boat and stuck it in a bucket of water. Hit the choke button and hit start it fired right up and purred like a kitten. So I'm a happy camper. =D>

Latest posts