Caught two 15+ pound gar yesterday :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOUSE

Reaction score
Fished the Little Miami River here in Ohio yesterday and got into some good white bass in my modded inflatable raft. While we drifted a large pool ripping jerkbaits, my line got nailed by a monster gar which pulled us 100yrds down stream. I battled it in the middle of the river and captured a video with some awesome jumps. My friend got us to shore where I dragged the fish into 6inches of water but it snapped my line right at my feet before I could take a good photo with it. We didn't have a net or gloves, so wrangling the beast was difficult. My friend wasn't crazy enough to pounce on it :) I was able to capture this still-shot from the video, however:

GAR_rob.jpg

After tying on another lure, we did another drift over the same stretch and my friend hooked into another monster fish. I captured it on video as well, but unlike HIM, I dove onto the monster and wrangled him up to the beach Steve Irwin style. Here' his fish, weighing in at 15.4 pounds:

Gar_Adam.jpg

...And just for the record, he's bragging to all of our friends that he caught one and mine got away, even though I did all of the work while he screamed like a little girl "Please don't let it eat me!" I've got that on video, too :)

(Fishing conditions: 74* mostly sunny. Storm 2 days prior, water was a little stained but 2ft visibility. Fished mostly white spinners and BPS McShad jerkbaits. Caught 10 white bass, 2 crappie, 1 LM, and the 2 big boys.)

Nice longnose!

I don't know why people dislike gar so much, I mean look at them, they're awesome. :D

JasonLester said:
We must live close.. I cross the little miami every day going to work.
Where do you live?
Jason

Dude! I would have bribed you with some free pizza and beer to help me with my build over the winter had I known there was another tin-boater in the area! All of my friends bailed on me :) I'll PM you more information just so it's not all out there on the net.

-As to the video, I made a quick version of my gar after editing out some of the bad words. My friend doesn't fish much and kept saying "Holy S**t" over and over again, and I might have said a few not-so-nice things about the gar after he broke off :)
https://s185.photobucket.com/album...ion=view&current=2012_GAR_Rob_OGF_version.mp4

"Don't let him eat me!" ROFL

Real nice fish bro!! I hear they taste great smoked.

Latest posts