Choosing a boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, in Kentucky, where I live now, a boat registered in another state can only be used for 60 consecutive days. I don't know that Illinois or Wisconsin has similar rules, but you might wanna look into it. Having lived in Illinois I would register a boat in Wisconsin....simply because I wouldn't want to give chicago anymore of my money than I had to.
Chris

chrispbrown27 said:
Also, in Kentucky, where I live now, a boat registered in another state can only be used for 60 consecutive days. I don't know that Illinois or Wisconsin has similar rules, but you might wanna look into it. Having lived in Illinois I would register a boat in Wisconsin....simply because I wouldn't want to give chicago anymore of my money than I had to.
Chris

WI has the same law, as does IL I believe.

Kismet said:
Registration is for the boat's owner. Where he lives, the boat is registered. Stored at your Dad's is a non-issue, I believe.

When I called the WI DNR, they said it should be registered where it will be housed.

Kismet said:
You are over-thinking this. :)

Yea, probably. But I would rather a hole in the boat be the reason it keeps me off the water, not paperwork.

As stated above, I think most states say they want the boat registered in the state of primary use, which is where it is typically housed. And many states have some sort of 'consecutive use' for visiting boats as well.

That said, now that most (if not all) states enjoy reciprocity with each other and follow the coast guard numbering system for registration, I personally wouldn't worry a whole heck of a lot about it. If you register in one state and soon discover/learn that you are using it primarily in another state, you can always just transfer it the following year. And transferring a currently registered boat/trailer is always easier than registering a recently purchased boat without any paperwork.

In my experience states make it fairly easy transfer-in boats/trailers from other states that have different titling/registration rules.

hooah -

My signature speaks words of many wise men (and many men with MUCH bigger boats than they need); "buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on, not the biggest boat you can afford".

For 4 people, I'd agree that a 14' is probably the 'sweet spot', but it's all going to come down to beam measurement (width).

My 12' tinny is actually a commercial fishing model with a whopping 64" beam :shock:; many buddies feel as I do, that she fishes much more like a 14-16' boat, yet is much more maneuverable than a longer/larger craft. I can easily fish with myself +2 other adults, and often go out with 1 adult +2 or 3 kids depending on how small they are.

I often troll for boats on Craigslist just to see what's out there and if they're any gems, but usually what I find falls shorter (more like narrower) than what I'd want. As was mentioned before, I think in most markets you'll find there's a big price jump between 14' and 16', not to mention that you'll need more power (both gas power or electric) to move a larger craft.

If money is no object to you, I'd look at some of the 16' all-welded (no rivets) models, but they're pricy and heavy (there's that more power thing creeping in again).

Anyway, let us know what you find, and, GOOD LUCK! :mrgreen:

Donmac is right.... wider is better and 16' jon boat is better than 12' or even 14'. For a single guy or 2 men, a 14' regular jon boat is OK and cheap to buy, especially along now in a tough economy!

I run mine with a 2.5 Suzuki at about $600 brand new. Boat and Trailer were $1200, no leaks ever, 1 bearing replace by myself in an afternoon, carpeted inside one fall weekend, and it came with a 42 lb Minn Kota bow mounted troller. Low cost, reliable, fun, and makes pleasant memories many guys miss out on.