coating bottom of tracker to prevent further wear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffresources

Reaction score
since my tracker 12 has been dragged around a lot its' showing some wear on the bottom...since its' thin anyway is there anything you can apply selctively on those wear points that will last and maybe slow the wear process?

I think about the only thing you can do is add another sheet of aluminum to the bottom of the hull... bedliner will scrape off (and it slows the boat down because of drag if applied to outside of hull...

I'm not sure if Steelflex or Gluvit would help either.. You might can fiberglass it - but I'm honestly not sure of how that would hold up either

I really can't think of anything you can do but to keep it off rocks!

You could weld some aluminium angle to the bottom with the V pointing down.That shouldn't add much weight & give you different wear points.

thanks

rocks are a way of life when you don't have a trailer and are too old to lift/carry very far

I did buy one of those carriers w/wheels for the rear which might make moving it easier...$50

will try fiberglass to coat for temp fix...it used to work with my canoes in the old days

then go to aluminum welding as a last resort...since finding someone to do that with experience in sw MO might be a chore

thanks again

That's a good one, welding the angle. I've seen that. Is it a v or flat? There are HDPE strips but how you put them on I
don't know also plastic keel guards. If it's flat you might get handy and laminate some wood with epoxy but maybe have to
screw through the hull for them.
Cost effective is make it yourself so angle or wood.
Cheers

The way it sounds to me ..If bottem is that bad.Time p cost you could probably buy a used one in good cond. for less money .Also need to come up with some sort of material like super tuff Canvas that you can set boat on and drag across rocks ...Maybe a sheet of tin..some one will give you some ideas (we all got them Good or Bad we'll throw them out there you pick what will work for you)...cva34

buffresources said:
since my tracker 12 has been dragged around a lot its' showing some wear on the bottom...since its' thin anyway is there anything you can apply selctively on those wear points that will last and maybe slow the wear process?

Honestly, it all depends on your budget.

The best thing you could do is buy a used trailer for a few hundred bucks. If money is too tight for that, then maybe its just best to keep using the boat the way it is. Unless the aluminum is so thin you are afraid you might step through it, you can most likely get plenty more years out of it.

The only good way to attach something to the bottom of the boat is by welding on extra aluminum (sheeting, angle etc). By the time you buy the aluminum and pay a welder, you would be pretty close to the price of a used trailer.

Heck, Harbor Freight sells brand new folding utility trailers for less than $200 when on sale.

You can do this also with some 2x2's, all thread and harbor freight wheels. Works great for pipelines and trails. Pics kinda fuzzy but you get the idea.

Attachments

• ooooooooo.JPG
    ooooooooo.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 464
sdm111 said:
You can do this also with some 2x2's, all thread and harbor freight wheels. Works great for pipelines and trails. Pics kinda fuzzy but you get the idea.

On a lighter note, this has some form of redneck racing written all over this... I Love It! :D

Latest posts