Coating other than carpet for deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikerider said:
LDUBS said:
I like the vinyl on my previous boat and again on my current boat. Very clean looking. I think the big advantage over carpet is it is easy to keep clean. It isn't smooth like the vinyl you might put on your kitchen floor. It has some texture.

I saw the Seadek product at a boat show earlier this year. It is very impressive looking.

Do you have a picture of the vinyl you used on your boat?

I didn't install the vinyl. It came with the boat. Here are a couple of close ups:

fullsizeoutput_85f.jpegResized_20171107_103627.jpg

I'm not sure of the brand, but it looks like this from Nautolex:

ae732cce-a7f3-4678-8df7-9bfd42b50b35_1.942ac402edc842d7b6c19d0dd9da855e.jpeg

I installed the nautolex from defender.com in my rebuild. It was easy to work with. I used indoor / outdoor carpet contact glue on my 5/8 plywood decking. I glued it and wrapped it around the edges and then stapled it. It is not slippery for me if it gets wet. You can check out my build in my link.
508fa1b391cf59a38707d7c9ddb44e2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Schukster, you did a nice job installing the vinyl. Very crisp & clean looking.

PS; I see you are from Iowa. My oldest son went to Luther College up in Decorah. He may have been the only student there from California.

I think I ended up using the Nautolex as well. I used the indoor/outdoor contact cement but since my boat sits at a dock from Apr through Oct, the sun and rain caused the edges to peel up. I might try to put some aluminum trim around the edges to help hold it down but I did notice most boats that have it factory installed have it riveted to help hold it down. It's still way better than walking on hot aluminum barefoot. Here's mine when I first installed it in the garage.

Attachments

• lowe_floor2.jpg
    lowe_floor2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,193
  • lowe_floor3.jpg
    lowe_floor3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,193
  • lowe_floor1.jpg
    lowe_floor1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,193
schukster said:
I installed the nautolex from defender.com in my rebuild. It was easy to work with. I used indoor / outdoor carpet contact glue on my 5/8 plywood decking. I glued it and wrapped it around the edges and then stapled it. It is not slippery for me if it gets wet. You can check out my build in my link.
508fa1b391cf59a38707d7c9ddb44e2e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

I went through your build thread, and I have to say your boat came out looking great. The vinyl looks really nice. It goes well with the grey and silver on your boat.

JL8Jeff, How does it hold up against foot traffic? Do you think it could handle a dog getting in and out?

bikerider said:
JL8Jeff, How does it hold up against foot traffic? Do you think it could handle a dog getting in and out?

Foot traffic shouldn't be a problem, I see no signs of wear at all. A dog might slip a little on it depending on how long their nails are but it is textured so they would probably dig in and grab the grain area ok. It would definitely be better than plain aluminum for a dog.

I had a small wear area starting to show up on my vinyl. I dropped an old house floor mat on that one spot.

I was in the boat for over two years with 3 to 4 day a week usage before anything appeared. No dogs, no kids, just chubby old me.

There’s an undeniable beauty in simplicity and ease of maintenance. A paint finish is easy to apply..easy to renew whenever required.
I’ve had good luck with this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sure-Step-1-Gal-Anti-Slip-Acrylic-Latex-Interior-Exterior-Floor-and-Concrete-Paint-SU-0922/100672153?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD24%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CAll_Paint%7C71700000032325895%7C58700003835893712%7C92700037015782596&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9LSLhKvz3gIVCv_jBx3gjA9QEAQYAyABEgJuevD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sticks where you put it and lasts a whole season. Roll out a fresh coat and you’ve got a new boat every spring.

bikerider said:
lukethedog said:
SeaDek, I have it in my boat and really enjoy the difference it has made in both comfort and appearance.

How has it held up for you?

I've been very pleased with the durability. The piece on the front deck started to show wear patterns after about 3 years. I just cleaned it and covered it with another sheet.

This is what I used on my boat and I like it.

https://store.prodigyboats.com/hydroturf-sheet-47-x-86-prodigy-camo/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk