Connecting FF straight to the battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbdog

Reaction score
I want to connect my FF straight to my battery but I have absolutely no clue what to use to connect the two. I have not been able to locate anything that will accommodate the 20G wire and connect to the post. I'm an idiot when it come to this type of stuff so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You'll need to use an AWG 18-20 ring terminal (color code red), with a ring large enough to fit over the battery post. It would be preferable to use a heat-shrink terminal, and then wrap with some splicing tape, for a good secure connection.

PSG-1 said:
You'll need to use an AWG 18-20 ring terminal (color code red), with a ring large enough to fit over the battery post. It would be preferable to use a heat-shrink terminal, and then wrap with some splicing tape, for a good secure connection.

Thanks, just having trouble finding that but glad to know they do make them!

You can find them at a Boater's World or a West Marine store, but you know how marine supply stores are....they're proud of their stuff, those terminals are about a dollar a piece there.

Instead, check somewhere like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts, you can find heat shrink terminals there, at about a third of the price.

You really should have a small fuse in the line, per instructions from your FF manufacturer. That small of a wire could be stripped and wrapped around the battery's screw terminal, in an temporary emergency..like getting to go fishing RIGHT NOW! Ha Ha Rich

Harbor Frieght has the heat shrink terminals and also the marine heat shrink tubing with the glue in it. Have used bot and they both work well. The also have boxes with assorted SS screws and bolts, much cheaper than Lowes, even if you can't use all the sizes.

Thank You for all the information. There is an in line fuse box that was already in place and I did think about stripping it and wrapping the terminal but thought I'd ask here first! I'm just glad I'm not as dumb, the wife is still debating that, as I thought. I knew there was something that would work, I just haven't found it at Pep Boys, Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, or any thing else with Auto in the name. Going to Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Stripping and wrapping terminals will get you by, but over time, the positive terminal, being an anode, might cause a corrosion issue with the bare wire. It's always better to use a ring terminal.

PSG-1 said:
Stripping and wrapping terminals will get you by, but over time, the positive terminal, being an anode, might cause a corrosion issue with the bare wire. It's always better to use a ring terminal.

I'm going to use a ring terminal, as soon as I can find one! I did think about stripping and wrapping the terminals but knew there was a better way.

Thanks again

The marine stores are a little pricier but they will have everythin you need, and it's not like you are going to be buying a gross of them. Save the money you would burn in gas driving all over to save $.50 and move forward with your project.JMHO

Not sure where you live but I have a choice of about 6 different places around town to find these things at..

Some Walmarts also have the heat shrink connectors, check in the Automotive dept. They are made by 3M I think they say waterprrof on them.