Control Board/Battery Hook Up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheffsboat

Reaction score
Hello TinBoat Nation,

Can anyone help me with some questions? I want to know how I can hook up my trolling motor and a bow light and bilge pump and live well on one battery. Is it possible? haha. I know there can be something done with a switch board or control board type set up but I have no clue on where to start. Can anyone post some step by step instructions or pics on how to do this? Also, what is a good battery to have for this if I'm trying to run all my electrical stuff to one battery? Hope you guys/gals can help me so I can get back on that water and catch that giant Red Drum!

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,

Running all your electrical from one battery is absolutely possible. It's a common practice. Most people have something similar to this:

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Rocker-Switch-Panels/product/861/100219

Proper fuses and/or circuit breakers are important. If you would rather build your own panel with a few breakers and switches it is another option.

Many people use two batteries, one for the trolling motor and one for the other goodies (live well, lights, fish finder etc.). The idea it to get a lot more time on the water before a lack of battery charge turns you toward the boat launch.

Lots of choices for batteries, and I'll leave that to the folks better versed in that area.

Lots of switches will work for you,like mentioned above.
DO NOT run your trolling motor through one,hook it up directly to the battery,using a circuit breaker/fuse in the positive line,close to your battery.
As far as batteries,get the one with the highest aH or reserve amps,that you can afford.

Thanks guys. By any chance....would anyone be willing to show me how to begin hooking up my electric stuff on a jon boat. I'm a visual learner so pics would go best with some instructions too. All I want to do is hook up a bilge, live well, and couple of light (maybe). I know I need a battery....actually I'm gonna go with two (thanks bgeddes) and some type of switch board. So is all I do is hook up all my wires to the battery and run them to the switch board? haha. I'm sure there is more to this so I hope you guys/gals can help me out.

Hope to hear from my fellow tinboaters soon!

Latest posts