cover for Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
it's a jon boat forum, so I know someone has found a great source for Jon boat covers that fit your boat......a tall task for Jon boat owner to find a cover that doesn't get destroyed by snow in one winter.

Due to the value of a jon boat, not many owners will spend good money for a cover, so few companies wil invest time and material to create a good jon boat cover. The trick to keeping any cover in good condition is to have a frame that keeps water/ snow from pooling, it needs to shed whatever gets on it. Limit direct sunlight and allow the water to shed off and even a cheap cover will last much longer !!

Kevin, When I had a boat the caliber of the one that you have I had a custom cover made for it. Snaps on the hull and a draw string. No tiedowns to the trailer, which are a pain.

Just to give you some ideas. Both boats were 16'8" SCs the red one had a towing cover and the tan one would both tow and store. They were made locally and the material was Sunbrella if I remember correctly.
Boat_04_14_05 003.jpgCover111706 001.jpgCover111706 004.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
When I made a similar thread somebody told me you can get great deals on quality brand covers at Tractor Supply.

OK, so here are a few pics OUTSIDE 🤣. I still need to figure the poles to let the water run off better.I will use pvc pipe to make them. I wouldn't hesitate to take it down the interstate. It is very well made and worth the price.

20230806_165516.jpg20230806_165507.jpg20230806_165504.jpg20230806_165445.jpg

I contacted a local canvas shop...... the price is not for the faint of heart. Debating on the style...whether I want snaps or straps.....and whether I want the motor cover included or separate....all an upcharge. They can't get me in until October.

For custom fit covers I use an online store called Boat Covers Direct. The Sun Dura material is quite durable and the fit is very good. They will turn the order around in a couple of weeks.

I also bought a “best quality” boat cover from Cabelas for my bigger tin boat. The material is Ok but, the fit is very poor.

In Eastern WA spring and fall can be very wet plus plenty of wet snow in the winter months. You will want something to keep everything tight with no low spots that will collect water and snow. I use a couple of plastic saw horses with a 2x4 spanning the gap. It works pretty good but, I still keep the snow cleaned off as much as possible. I might try a pvc pipe structure at some point.

Last edited:
I have the Sun Dura on the 18' and haven't had any issues. I use a telescopic pole at each end with a vent on top. I For the jon boat and duck boat I use the silver tarps but they sit under the trees so the sun doesn't beat on it all day.
I bought from Covercraft on sale.

I've had a lot of boat covers over the last 30 years, but I have gone to using a plastic tarp for my jon boats. The reason for this is that they are slick, and snow slides right off MOST of the time. I'll take some pics in a bit and post them.

Here are the three boats I currently have covered.
Again, I use plastic tarps from Harbor Freight. They are usually about $12 for a 10x20 when on sale, and they last a year or maybe two. They keep ALL water out of the boat, so it's perfectly dry inside at all times. And the ends are open, so no issues with mildew.

Some canvas covers tend to stay damp and seal up tightly, blocking airflow, which CAUSES mold problems. Another reason I have gone this route.

On my 16' Princecraft, I run a 2x4x16 between the pedestal seat in the front and the top of the motor in the back. Works great and sheds snow well:
Resized_20230808_122222.jpeg

On the 17' Spectrum, it has a full windshield, so it makes it's own angles front and back without support, but I have bungee cords to keep it tight. It sheds snow well in the back, but I have to remember to knock it off the front sometimes. Still, it never leaks, and hasn't torn after one winter.
Resized_20230808_122147.jpeg

This is a 19' Ski Barge that I plan to work on eventually. I used some metal poles from a collapsed sun canopy to form a ridge down the middle, and it works well. Sitting on a cooler in the front. This is not for rain. I got tired of millions of leaves collecting in the boat:

Resized_20230808_122244.jpeg