Cox Trailer Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boat is finally on the trailer Woohoo :mrgreen:

2012-03-12_18-56-32_658.jpg

Beautiful boat & trailer combo, Ford blue or not =D> By the way is the dog in Your postings a Visla, or Weimaraner? Looks alot like a Weimaraner I had 35 yrs. ago.

novaman said:
Beautiful boat & trailer combo, Ford blue or not =D> By the way is the dog in Your postings a Visla, or Weimaraner? Looks alot like a Weimaraner I had 35 yrs. ago.

The color is actually International blue, I used Ace rust stop enamel.

She is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Savannah.jpg

bigwave said:
Gotta love our labs, my old boy is 12, English Lab. His name is Sir Hershal Big Boy BLue, aka Hershey.

Chesapeakes are a lot like labs, they just come standard with a bit more awesome!!

They have a different personality than a lab. A chessie has no issue with chewing off the face of any intruder or stranger messing with them or their family. Their will to retrieve is simply outstanding, and you can multiply that when you add water. You only have to be around one for a short period of time before you realize that's no lab.

Just to clarify I'm not hating on labs, I have a 9 year old black lab. He was my first dog as an adult, in my mind there will never be a better dog!! His lazy butt hasn't so much as chased a tennis ball in years though.

In stead of extending the tong why didn't you just lengthen the bunks an extra foot?
Trailer looks great.
Depending how far you haul your boat 12 are great it will sit up higher

GrogHog said:
In stead of extending the tong why didn't you just lengthen the bunks an extra foot?
Trailer looks great.

After I got the trailer home and inspected it I found that the original tongue was bent, so I was going to have to replace it anyway. By lengthening the tongue and not extending the bunks the weight of the outboard it supported directly down to the bunk mounts and then to the frame of the trailer. The boat fits on the trailer perfect now, I can even put my weight on the transom now that the motor is mounted and the tongue doesn't lift off of the jack!!

I have also decided that 12" wheels will be purchased soon!! I'm too busy spending money on the boat right now though.

Thanks again for the compliments, it was a fun project. Now I'm always looking for cheap trailers on craigslist, I think I could make a decent profit fixing these old trailers up.

moberg12 said:
GrogHog said:
Trailer looks great.

After I got the trailer home and inspected it I found that the original tongue was bent, so I was going to have to replace it anyway. By lengthening the tongue and not extending the bunks the weight of the outboard it supported directly down to the bunk mounts and then to the frame of the trailer. The boat fits on the trailer perfect now, I can even put my weight on the transom now that the motor is mounted and the tongue doesn't lift off of the jack!!

I have also decided that 12" wheels will be purchased soon!! I'm too busy spending money on the boat right now though.

Thanks again for the compliments, it was a fun project. Now I'm always looking for cheap trailers on craigslist, I think I could make a decent profit fixing these old trailers up.

HI moberg12

I have a mid 50's cox trailer for my 14 ft crestliner boat and need a roller and bracket. NO luck so far any ideas?? Also it has 8 inch wheels and I notice you are "upgrading" to 12". Is that something feasible for my trailer? Thanks for your time,