Custom Tandem Axle for my 14'er

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flat_Bottum

Reaction score
Hello all, I am in the middle of rebuilding my Polar Kraft jet boat and am thinking or redoing the trailer while I am at it. It has more surface rust then paint, about 18" too short for the boat and is just all in all pitiful looking. Now, I have an idea of how I want my trailer to come out but need some assistance since I have never built one before.

A few years so, I went to go pick up a transmission for my jeep and the guy pulled up at the meeting location pulling a little 4x8 utility trailer. What set it apart is the fact that he had done a custom tandem setup with twin 2k axles. Now, I know that it is not needed but it was just a scaled down version of a larger utility trailer and I fell in love. Well, I am wanting to do the same with my trailer. I am weighing the pros and cons of altering my current trailer or just building a brand new one from scratch. Im not sure if I will want to use a tandem hanger setup for the leaf springs but was thinking of using dual slipper style leaf packs but face the slipper ends facing away from each other so to save room and keep the tires closer together. Does anyone see any issues with this? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A standard tandem axle has an equalizer which keeps all the tires on the ground as it goes over uneven surfaces. A trailer with multiple individual sprung axles will lift one or the other set of tires off the ground as it goes over curbs putting all the weight of the trailer and load on just one axle and springs. If the total weight of the trailer and load doesn't excide the capacity of either axle and springs it can be done.
There are trailers with multiple torsion axles. Google "Walking Beam Axle".

it is not about having a "problem" - it is about looking COOL going down the road.

Same thing as putting neon lights on everything you own.
Putting a poling platform on your boat and you are afraid of heights.
Putting jacked up 36" mudder tires on your Jeep and you never get off the grass.
Putting a 250 horse power outboard on your pontoon boat. (isn't a pontoon supposed to go SLOW ??)
it is all in the EGO factor ......

Just tell the boy to do it.... he's gonna do it any way.

If there is a lot of tight turns on concrete and asphalt, the tires will show wear
sooner than expected. (ask any landscaper that has a dual axle trailer)

Barefoot_Johnny said:
Just tell the boy to do it.... he's gonna do it any way.
LOL :eek: , or you mean more like:

"Just tell the boy NOT to do it ... and he'll do it anyway!"

In youths, that effect is due to the fact that the amygdala, the common sense center of the brain, is the LAST part of the brain to develop. That's why when you tell a teenager: "Don't do the cinnamon challenge as it could hurt or kill you ..." They go out and do it anyway! Their brain processes it as if you had said: "Do it and you'll be the coolest kid in your class!" :shock:

I guess some guys just never grow up all the way :wink: !

I trailer a lot. I'd be concerned that tandem is too stiff for the load. Every bump at speed goes right into the boat/motor instead of dampened by the leafs.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I trailer a lot. I'd be concerned that tandem is too stiff for the load. Every bump at speed goes right into the boat/motor instead of dampened by the leafs.
Proper springs for the load are easy to do.

First of all, I aint no boy nor a teenager. Im 29 years old and dont give a crap what other people think. I saw a home built trailer that someone did this too and thought it looked neat. Do I NEED to do it? No. Would I want to? Sure, would be unique. Do not come at me like I am some punk young kid with my neon under glow lights or 20' wheels on my mall crawler. I asked a simple question and would appreciate a simple answer without people jumping to conclusions that I am some worthless punk kid that only wants to do something because others will think its cool. It was just an idea, just like the first person who said "hey, I wonder how this jet ski engine and pump would do in my little fishing boat?" Is it needed? Nope, but people still do it. Thank you to those that did respond with a mature answer. To those who did not, good day.

I have a 1986 cj7 jeep. I would love a set of 36" tires. I made the half century mark a while back.
It's your choice. If we all had the same opinion and loved the same woman, the world would be a mess!!!

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I think you need to relax and reread the post.

I was not referring to any of your posts. You was helpful. I was referring to to the other comments. In my opinion, if someone wants to put 4 axles under a 12' boat, that's their prerogative. Being compared to a teen or an individual who just wants the "look at me" factor isn't cool at all. I understand how tandem trailers work and their purpose and understand fully that I dont need a tandem setup. My current axle is rated at 2,000 lbs and I am no where near that mark and never will be. I just had an idea to mimic a similar setup that I had seen back when and thought it was neat. If my idea will cause more damage then good, then its not worth following. If I came off angry then I apologize since that was not my intent.

and I passed the " half century " mark almost two DECADES ago !!

it is YOUR build - do it the way YOU want it . . . .
you do not have to take ANY of this free advice..... pick and choose notes
from here and there and make your own decisions, good or bad, you can always do it over,
fix it, or sell it....... simple as that.
for example: rides too stiff, remove a leaf spring or two, buy a new set for the weight you carry.
You could probably go to the junk yard and get a set of Jeep springs that will work perfectly.
Just do your homework - YOU are the one pulling it down the road at 60 miles per hour - not us.
Good Luck. Be Safe.

Jus my dos centavos

i have been trying to do some information searching on the torsion axles for trailers. I have never pulled a trailer with them before and from what I have found, they are rated for around 2,000 lbs. Does anyone know how they ride compared to leaf springs? Regardless if I stay a single axle or do pull the plug and try to fab up the tandem, I will be upgrading all of the axle components in the trailer since they are old and time to be replaced. Would like to possible go with the torsion type if they are worth it.

A slipper spring facing forward will not slip. Think of direction of travel. I work on trailers daily, part of my real job. You could use tandem 2 leaf springs with an equalizer, but it may ride rough.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
There is also a axle-less set up made by Tembren suspension .

I believe that I have seen this (or something similar) on a buddies trailer a long time ago. I the main concern with doing something like this would be the rid quality of the trailer and it beating the inside of my boat apart. If I do twin leafs with the equalizer then I may do some experimenting with a leaf pack and remove a couple of the bottom leafs to see how soft I can get it. My current leaf springs are a bit on the soft side for the boats weight now and it bounces purdy bad on the rough roads. So If I could stiffen up the ride a little bit so it pulled like it used to then I think that would do good. Thanks again everyone for the advise thus far. Also never thought about the slipper not slipping while facing forward...makes perfect sense though once you think about it.

Did you look up the walking beam axle? It has 4 tires but just one pair of leaf springs.

2 sets of these would fit the bill

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Timbren/ASR3500S05.html

Specs:
Fits: 1-axle and 2-axle trailers that use regular tires
Not recommended for triple-axle applications
Weight capacity: 3,500 lbs
Quantity: 2 suspension units without hubs
Works with Dexter 1,750-lb hubs (84545UC1-EZ)
Spindle/Hub compatibility:
Bearings: L68149 inner, L44649 outer
Races: L68111 inner, L44610 outer
Seal: 10-19
3-Year limited warranty

Just something I want to point out though....if you really don't need the extra weight capacity, this is 2 extra tires you'll have to replace just as frequently.

Flat_Bottum said:
My current leaf springs are a bit on the soft side for the boats weight now and it bounces purdy bad on the rough roads.

Are you sure the springs are too soft? My pick-up has very hard springs under the rear. It rides very rough compared to other trucks I have driven with soft springs. It jars your teeth with every bump in the road. It will even loose traction sometimes as it bounces. The good thing about it is that I can haul much more weight (about three times as much) than similar trucks with soft springs. Standing on my rear bumper it does not sag at all. Other vehicles I have driven sag a lot standing on the rear bumper but they ride smooth when empty.

Latest posts