Damian's 14ft Aluminum V Mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damianz31 said:
Skiffing said:
That's composite wood - great to use.

It's wood chips with plastic formed under heat & pressure. Should be pretty slippery and make launching very.

It would be used in the transom... so would it still be good to use? its really heavy also, i don't know if that will be good or not...

I wouldn't. I don't think it has the strength. See if the store has specs on it for fiber density and modulus of elasticity.

Finally done with trailer after part came in and came up with any idea on how to extend the bunks

The bunks originally were on one bracket each and moved vertically, and allowed boat to rest on rollers for the most part
Transom before.png

Now the boat lays on the bunk and is a lot more stable side to side and sits very nicely.
Trailer now.JPG

This was the idea that was created because there was no way to extend the bunk on a square bracket because it would have been crooked aligning with trailer.
Trailer part.JPG
Trailer part 2.JPG

Also got the Starcraft name finished, i think it turned out decent
Starcraft paint.JPG

And now onto the transom, have to find wood that will do the job, I've read a lot on the forum people saying not to use treated wood because it won't go good with the aluminum so i will keep that in mind and hopefully find some wood that will be usable.

you can do a lot for the transom with either high quality 3/4 inch ply or a solid not warped piece of 5/4 lumber that's the depth you need. I say use 5/4 because its actually a full inch thick - 1/X is usually 3/4's inches and may not be strong enough depending on the depth of your transom. Either way you go, sealing it properly (including the edges) is a must to keep rot down. Personally I'd coat it in West Marine Epoxy with three coats, sanding lightly between each. If you wanted to have some real fun you could encapsulate the transom in fiberglass before you install it. Then make sure to seal it properly to the hull with a good, stays flexible sealant.

Okay thanks kscphil ! I will be getting wood soon!
Ive been going around garage sales looking if there is anything useful for my boat and found this motor.
Didn't buy it yet just trying to see any input from others if it is worth it or not!
They said $70 with the gas can, and it works according to sellers.

Any input on this would be great!
IMG_6110.jpg
It is a Chrysler 9.9

support on the ends with some blocks and stand in the middle and see how much it flexes, if it bends more than an inch or so it probably won't work for you