decking and hardware questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugpac said:
are you decking the entire boat, Alum is the only way to go IMO, But nothing wrong with wood if the budget permits, I cant see spending the money to frame alum, and deck with wood myself, If you sheet alum it, you don't need any Structure to begin with, Have a look at my Busti'n Bass build, there is a link at the bottom. I should have it back in a few days, And will have pics of the finished product. It is a Fisher 18/60 made by Tracker of course, virtually same boat as you have probably.

i'm not decking the entire boat, but i would really like to extend the front deck to make plenty of room to fish and for storage. i would also like to build a rear deck that extends forward from the rear bench.

i checked out your link, and really like some of the ideas you have in there! i originally wanted rod lockers, but wasn't exactly sure how to do them. i'm anxious to see your finished product!

are you covering the existing front deck with a piece of aluminum or are you matching up to the existing with the extension?

wow, jigngrub, that looks fantastic!

how is the vinyl for comfort compared to carpet? i'm thinking the carpet will be hard to beat if you need to sit down to eat or take a break, or if you need to get on your knees to land a fish or pray to the fishing gods.

i'm still in the early stages of thinking about stuff, so nothing's off the table as yet!

shanko92 said:
wow, jigngrub, that looks fantastic!

how is the vinyl for comfort compared to carpet? i'm thinking the carpet will be hard to beat if you need to sit down to eat or take a break, or if you need to get on your knees to land a fish or pray to the fishing gods.

i'm still in the early stages of thinking about stuff, so nothing's off the table as yet!

To be honest, a hard surface is still a hard surface with the vinyl on it. It doesn't feel bad on bare feet, but it doesn't have any "cushion". It is a thin but very tough material, I liken it to kevylar. I haven't cut or scratched it yet loading coolers and equipment in and out of the boat, haven't had a hook snag in it either.

Everybody that has fished in my boat has really liked it and is surprised at how non-slip it is. Most people think it's carpet until they touch it.

I land fish on my knees and pray to the fishin' gods too and it hasn't bothered my 57 yr. old knees yet.

shanko92 said:
Bugpac said:
are you decking the entire boat, Alum is the only way to go IMO, But nothing wrong with wood if the budget permits, I cant see spending the money to frame alum, and deck with wood myself, If you sheet alum it, you don't need any Structure to begin with, Have a look at my Busti'n Bass build, there is a link at the bottom. I should have it back in a few days, And will have pics of the finished product. It is a Fisher 18/60 made by Tracker of course, virtually same boat as you have probably.

i'm not decking the entire boat, but i would really like to extend the front deck to make plenty of room to fish and for storage. i would also like to build a rear deck that extends forward from the rear bench.

i checked out your link, and really like some of the ideas you have in there! i originally wanted rod lockers, but wasn't exactly sure how to do them. i'm anxious to see your finished product!

are you covering the existing front deck with a piece of aluminum or are you matching up to the existing with the extension?
Were matching up, i may end up with to much storage, i basicly have about a 6'6 x 32" hole in the center of the boat, and that someday may get a center console in it. I got pics but cant share them yet, got to show start to finish so people dont try engineering it. :) looking like ill have a finished product on sunday.

i'm anxious to see the pics of the finished product, as i'm sure you're anxious to get 'er out on the water and put it to use!