Diabetics?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has been on an insulin pump for 10 years now. Its the best. No more late night low sugar attacks. No more needles. For her 4-6 a day. Changes the site every 3-4 days. It was expensive and worth every penny.

Well i just got home from Atlantic City from a weekend away. ( i did have a good weekend money wise )
I forgot my metformin and boy did i pay for it.
my sugar that has been controled hit a high of 340 this morning.
it stinks when i screw up like that
I think i will try to get my dr to sign off on the pump I have been hearing great things about it

Thought I'd do a follow up post on the diabetics.

How many units of insulin are some of you taking? The diabetes clinic doc had me on total of 80 units of lantus (40 morning/40night) and 90 units of Humalog (30,30,30).

When I was at my regular doctor the other day he thought that was too much. His opinion was over 150 units can be harmful to your blood vessels. So he adjusted to a straight 100 units of lantus and put me back on onglyza.

Now my blood sugar has been running back in the 150's - 170's again where I had it down to 100's and my a1c was 5. something.

That's why I hate having two doctors at the same time. The clinic doc treatment seemed to be working but the regular doctor is looking at the total picture I guess? I have to try to do what they tell you otherwise what's the point of wasting the money and going to them?

So I was wondering if any of your doctors thought 150 units a day was too much? I realize everyone is different but there are general guidelines.

I take anywhere from 50 to 70 units of Lantus at night. It all depends on what my BS is at bedtime and then I just guess. What I have found is some doctors don't seem to be up to date on diabetes. There are some excellent web sites where people such as us can go and get some ideas to help with the same problems we are having. Glad to see you are working at it and remember no 2 people are alike

Latest posts