Do you drink and fish?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink and fish?

• I don't drink and fish

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Fishing time = Drinking time

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • On occasion, but not as a habit

Votes: 46 42.6%
  • I don't drink at all

Votes: 26 24.1%

• Total voters
If we are out there on a hot summer day we might bring a 6 pack to split between the both of us, but that is also if we are bringing sandwiches, waters, and other stuff to eat and drink too.

Never just beer alone. For the most part we wait till we are off the water and back home.

Nope. Don't drink beer at all, and bringing a wine glass with a bottle of wine just doesn't seem like it goes with fishing. Besides......with my luck, someone would probably see me and pull up next to me and ask if I had any Grey Poupon! That would be totally unacceptable on the water. :LOL2:

Waterwings said:
Straight from the Kentucky Regulations:

DRINKING IN PUBLIC AND PUBLIC INTOXICATION (KRS 222.202)

"Kentucky law specifically prohibits the drinking of alcoholic beverages in public places (this excludes establishments licensed to sell such beverages) and the waterways of this state are considered public places. Further, in a public place, persons who are manifestly under the influence of alcoholic beverages to the extent that they may unreasonably annoy or endanger themselves or others shall be subject to arrest."

Ah, yes... the KRS.

After a major political meltdown because some people with some pull were written tickets on Cumberland for drinking on their houseboats and others think that KY's waterways should be the equivalent of Bourbon Street, the water patrol (KDFWR) has been instructed to cease issuing citations for drinking on or near the water unless the persons are an obvious danger to self or others. In other words, you're going to have to run over someone in a boat or be drowning yourself before you get a PI or possession ticket even with a KRS in place.

I see a major lawsuit coming down the pipe the first time someone has been checked while intoxicated and then left to their own devices only to later kill someone. It will happen on Ky, Barkley or Cumberland. You can just about bet on it.

I can probably count on one hand the times I have drank and fished. I am usually focused on fishing. Plenty of time off the water to throw some back and tell some stories.

I must confess that, during the hot summer months, I'll take a couple beers along with a few waters in the cooler on the boat :) - But, only drink a couple beers/water when I'm on the water for several hours. Never more than that and not at all like the party people in speed/skiing/pleasure boats who over indulge and get wild and reckless and have many accidents on the water.

I don't drink soft drinks (pop, soda, whatever you call it where you live:) just beer or water - sometimes Ice tea :)

FishingCop said:
I don't drink soft drinks (pop, soda, whatever you call it where you live:) just beer or water - sometimes Ice tea :)
Throw coffee on that list and I'm right there with you

I drink a few while out on the water. Probably never more than 4 or 5 over the course of the day, and have been known to open one well before noon...if I'm going to be out there all day what does time matter??

I tend to think of operating a boat the same as driving and if I'm in charge of the boat, I'm not drinking (even though my boat is a trolling motor only Jon); but if I'm a passenger, I'd see no reason to not have an occasional brew depending on fish we're targeting.

we dont hit the water without a few coldbeer packed away

like most here, if im driving its only 1 or 2 for me. we usually take a 6 pack. when im pass. with my buddy in a bigger boat they are all mine =P~

It depends....if I am out on the pontoon for a day of R&R and a little not to serious fishing....then I will have few beers (ice cold) while I am either floatin on the tube (tied to the boat) or cooking on the grill (small pedistal propane grill on the pontoon)....When floatin on the tube I have a floating cooler that looks like a giant bobber.... :D

When I am out serious fishing in the fishing boat (17 Ft Bass Tracker II Mod-V... I will once in a while have a cold one on a hot day but never on either boat to I get what I would call "impaired"... I know that because I have been impaired in the past....but NEVER on the water....on NEVER while driving.... [-X

Outdoorsman

Yeah I enjoy a frosty beer when I am out on the lake sometimes. 9 times out of 10, it ends up warm and flat before I get halfway through it, but I usually bring a few with me in the cooler. To be honest though, I really can't remember the last time I caught a good buzz (be it on or off the lake...) I just enjoy a beer or two from time to time I guess.

Here in Minnesota it's perfectly legal to enjoy a refreshing alcoholic beverage in your boat as far as I know... I do believe you can get a "BWI" if you take things too far though.

I usually drink when I fish. Of course I don't catch all that many fish. :mrgreen:
I know how to handle myself and rarely get drunk even at parties.

I do have to be careful on public lakes now.
Oklahoma is cracking down on alcohol on the water.
Once again a few idiots ruin it for everybody.

I dont drink and bass fish, or drink while Im on the boat, unless its a chartered deep sea trip. On the other hand, I do like to catfish in a few local farm ponds on those nice summer nights, and that consist of a pack of hot dog weenies and one rod, a thirty pack of nattys, 1/5 of jack beam, and a pack of smokes. Somehow a fire always gets started, and moonshine magically appears. I never really remember catching any catfish tho..... it always sounds better to tell the family Im going catfishing rather than telling Im going to the pond to party like a redneck rock star. Either way it goes, Im guilty of fishing a drinking..

I like to have a couple of beers but you have to remember I mostly fish in Louisiana. It's traditional to pop one whenever the first fish hits the boat.

I took the run out to Black Bay a few years ago with some guys from Chalmette. Just as the sun was getting clear of the horizon the one who wasn't running the boat (the captain is a teetotaller) cracked open the ice chest.

"You ready for one, brah?"

Seeing as how it wasn't even good daylight yet I passed and remarked that is was a little early for me.

His response was, "Don't worry, brah. It's twelve o'clock somewhere."
It made sense at the time. And we caught a boatload of speckled trout.
:beer:

I don't usually drink while fishing however I always carry a small bottle of "snake bit Medicine" with me just in case...Especially in the cooler weather...A boy just can't be to careful and not be prepared...I also carry bandades with me but that doesn't mean I want to cut myself just so I can use um.. again, be prepared
peace

I love fishing from a dock with a cooler full of beer at my side. Never take it in the boat. I won't even take one beer out with me in the boat. Penalties are too stiff if you get caught.

I used to drink ALLOT! More than anyone should.

Before I stopped, I noticed being not as sharp even on the odd days I didn't drink. I'm not sure if I needed a drink to function as normal, or if I my mind was just not recovering fully....
I basically quit drinking. I noticed an immediate difference in the way I felt once I had stopped.

I have a beer occasionally and go through a 12 pack in a few weeks. Much more moderate and usually just because I like certain beers.

I like to enjoy everything about fishing. It's nearly an outer body experience and I like to take in, and appreciate every little thing. From the lights on the water, and leaves of trees, to the sound of the water, to the birds, and animals you see etc.

I'm not normally a person who goes to church and may only go once every month or two. I find my time in the outdoors is a way to reconnect with god, and with loved ones I miss.

Sorry for the sappy, long winded post. #-o