Do you use a brake or ratcheting winch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butthead

Reaction score
I realize that traditionally most boat trailers come with ratcheting winches, but does anyone use a brake winch on their trailer?

For those that use a brake winch, do you like it better and why?

I kind of figured.

I got my hands on a very nice SeaSense brake winch but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to switch it out for my "sometimes slightly annoying" ratcheting winch. I've never used a brake winch before and didn't want to go through the hastle of swapping it out only to find I dislike it.

So does someone want to buy a brake winch? Ha-ha-ha.

crazymanme2 said:
Mine on my 16 foot boat is brake & ratchet. #-o

So do you like it, or is it a hastle?

Is there a lot of resistance when pulling out the strap/cable to drop the boat in the water?

If You would be so kind to post a pic, I for one have never seen a boat winch with a brake system, only rachet styles. Thanks in advance

I have a ratcheting winch with a steel cable instead of a strap for my jon boat and I actually like it more than my ratcheting winch with a strap for my SeaPro

novaman said:
If You would be so kind to post a pic, I for one have never seen a boat winch with a brake system, only rachet styles. Thanks in advance

Here's the one I got:
https://www.amazon.com/Seasense-Bra...43051864&sr=1-2&keywords=seasense+brake+winch
412plMNKyzL._SS500_.jpg

Latest posts