Drive on trailer? Do you power load?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339035#p339035 said:
Goldfish » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:36 am[/url]"]I dislike lazy power loaders. Just crank your boat up and stop stirring up the bottom. There shouldn't be any problem with alignment if you do it right
while you are cranking your boat onto the trailer 3 gys could have powerloaded their boats and cleared the ramp for the next guy lol

if you back the trailer in to the proper depth you shouldn't need to use to much power to reach the tiedown

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339064#p339064 said:
redbug » 7 minutes ago[/url]"]
while you are cranking your boat onto the trailer 3 gys could have powerloaded their boats and cleared the ramp for the next guy lol

if you back the trailer in to the proper depth you shouldn't need to use to much power to reach the tiedown

+1 to both those statements! =D>

Okay, not being a smartass, but please explain your definition of power loading. I've always considered power loading to be different from loading under power. I've always thought of power loading as using only motor and hammering the gas to get those last few feet up on the trailer. I've seen tons of dudes doing that with their bay boats. They'll stop a few feet short of the bow stop and then sit there and floor it to slowly slide the rest of the way up.

When we load up the Ranger, we'll have just the tips of the fenders out of the water, drive up at a reasonable speed, give it a little gas to keep up speed, leave it in drive, then crank up the last few feet. It goes on quickly and we don't churn up much.

power loading is loading the boat on the trailer while under power from the gas motor
if you have a drive on trailer it is meant to be power loaded must it be done that way Hell no but it can be and is the easiest way to do it
If guys are gunning their motors then they don't have the trailer in the water deep enough
We can retrieve 50 boats during a tournament in a very short time compared to guys that crank the boat onto the trailer

The key to loading a boat using the motor is the depth of the trailer. A lot of people back the trailer in too deep. If you can idle up to the bow stop, you're in too deep. In most cases the boat won't be straight. The proper way to power load is to idle up until your about 2-3 feet from the bow stop & hit the gas to get the rest of the way on.

redbug said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339035#p339035 said:
Goldfish » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:36 am[/url]"]I dislike lazy power loaders. Just crank your boat up and stop stirring up the bottom. There shouldn't be any problem with alignment if you do it right

I'm almost always alone in my boat, so it's tied up while I'm getting the truck and trailer, but I'll take that bet about 3 boats loaded up in the time it takes me to crank my boat up.

I'm basing my times off from the average person loading their boat, which we all know takes about 42 minutes for most people, lol

Golf fish Im basing my times on they guys that don't drive their boat onto the trailer by running a line from the bow and walking up the dock try into to line it up on the trailer while standing on the dock then hooking the winch and cranking and cranking and cranking
then having to line it up again and cranking and cranking. This example was at the ramp and we did retrieve 3 boats while he was loading his it is funny to watch sometimes unless you are the one behind that guy

Power loading isn't the problem.....people who don't know how to power load is the problem. If you're going to hand load your boat, please let me go in front of you. I'll have my boat loaded, squared away and strapped down, and on the highway before you're off the ramp.

Plus, you will get a lesson on how it's properly done if you don't already know how.

Lol. I think comparing any time from someone who knows what they are doing, to the "average" boat owner probably throws the data a lot.

And RBO, I think Pepe who don't know how to load in general is the problem. I just don't like the hole at the back of the shallow ramps because my trailer isn't the best. Luckily the boat is light

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339174#p339174 said:
Goldfish » 7 minutes ago[/url]"]Lol. I think comparing any time from someone who knows what they are doing, to the "average" boat owner probably throws the data a lot.

And RBO, I think Pepe who don't know how to load in general is the problem. I just don't like the hole at the back of the shallow ramps because my trailer isn't the best. Luckily the boat is light

Just to clarify, that was a general statement and not directed to anyone in particular. The hole on the ramp is caused by people who don't know what they are doing. I only have to winch my boat the last 3 feet on the trailer at most and never have to hammer away on the throttle.

The 3 biggest problems I see with people that power load:
Trailer not deep enough
Do not carry enough momentum to get the boat onto the trailer
Hammer the throttle down all the way to the winch post

I have been looking at this in detail for a while now due to the restrictions to power loading in Massachusetts. It is explicitly forbidden and posted at most of the ramps that I use. I'd also read an anecdote online about a person who was ticketed for using his motor to drive the boat to the trailer, not even using it under load. So I asked a question to the MA environmental police about it and received a very detailed answer.

This is the reply that I got:

Sir,
I was forwarded your email question reference power loading. I believe there is a couple of points worth discussing:

1. Boats possibly undermining the soil around boat ramps causing ruts that affects offloading/onloading boats. Smaller trailers sometimes bottom out due to the ruts at the end of a concrete boat ramp. From complaints received across the state, it stems from deliberate power loading of boats. The State Public Access board has built and strives to maintain quality public boat ramps. A slower more deliberate onload would be less damaging and minimize ramp upkeep.

2. The potential danger of rapid engine thrust in a confined area such as a boat ramp and within the trailer frame. Sometimes the boating public may feel they are under pressure to onload / offload boats at busy boats ramps to the point that safe and deliberate trailering is sacrificed.

I hope this may better define power loading, I believe we've all seen improper trailering. Some well directed and helpful comments have aided me in educating the boating public. We cover this very topic at boating education classes. Our hope is the newly certified boaters take this tip and apply it on the water.

As far as keeping a boat at idle speed during trailering may be required for a period of time due to size, assisting personnel, wind and current. That propeller action would not cause the damage that boat ramps experience due the above topic.

Contact should you have questions or comments.

Regards,

Lieutenant Michael P. Grady
Massachusetts Environmental Police

So based on this, using the motor to get to the trailer, and any momentum pushing it up is fine, but my understanding is that anything beyond that would be considered against regulations in MA.

All depends on the disposition of the officer, whether they understand that you need SOME power to get a boat up to and partially onto a trailer, or it's some over-zealous rookie who would write someone a ticket for using a trolling motor to get the boat onto the trailer.

Common sense does apply.

I am on Lake Champlain where a bass boat has to be the size of my 23' Bayliner and have a 200+ engine or it's just not right. I have watched for many years the damage caused by heavy power loading. By this I mean 3/4 throttle to virtually shove the boat up a set of dry bunks pointed at 10 -20 degrees to vertical. The hole they dig is bad enough . What's worse is the bar that is created behind it. 20'. In the Fall when the water is low you hit your outdrive or ding your prop once in a while no matter how carefully you back out if you have to use any power other than a paddle.
Didn't some genius a while back spout all this a solution #-o to not getting your precious wheel bearings and brake assemblies wet. I know I saw something about it and suddenly everybody is digging sand bar excavations although i will say it has dropped off the last few years greatly. The one's I see who cause the trouble really toss a 30' rooster tail in the back and they treat those wheels like they can't get wet. Everyone else just puts it in till the bunks are 4/5 submerged and just drives it in and pulls it up there by a couple turns of the winch or just Muckling it like I do my V17. It's so easy but you do have to get your feet wet up to your ankles unless you want to climb up the wheel of the truck into the bed and onto the trailer. At least with the winch if you hit it crooked you aren't arriving under power and crashing into the stops. They do put on some funny shows with those big monsters.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=339165#p339165 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 20 Jan 2014, 12:26[/url]"]Power loading isn't the problem.....people who don't know how to power load is the problem. If you're going to hand load your boat, please let me go in front of you. I'll have my boat loaded, squared away and strapped down, and on the highway before you're off the ramp.

Plus, you will get a lesson on how it's properly done if you don't already know how.

Nailed it, hoss!

I have the same issues as PSG-1. I've made a ton of adjustments to my trailer and broke a winch with a 17ft aluminum G3 bass boat. Bow is low when loading and if I pull trailer out to make the angle right it becomes too hard to drive on. I'll post some pics maybe you guys can make some recommendations. I haven't had any luck talking to local marine shops.

So after dozens and dozens of times loading my boat since I posted this thread, I have determined that there is no advantage to me loading the boat under power. There is absolutely no way I am slower either, I'm confused at the guys wanting to go load up first. I can push my boat off the beach and pull it up with the bow line just as fast as I can getting in my boat, lowering the motor, starting it up, backing it out and driving it on the trailer, then getting the bow line hooked up and cranking it up the final few feet. Loading under power definitely takes longer, in fact, I am always the quickest guy at the launch launching or loading. As a matter of fact, I will go so far as to say you guys insisting on power loading need to let me go first!! LOL! You all take MUCH longer than I do. It's maybe 60-120 seconds from the time I have my trailer in the water till I am driving up the ramp- if I take my time. But this has been an interesting thread!

Power loading is one of those iffy subjects. I agree with Jethro to a point, but to go a little further I think it's really the operator that turns it into a circus. We've all been in a situation where you're sitting 20 yds from the launch waiting for someone who's taking their sweet time in getting their boat out/in, whether their oblivious to others around them or they are just terrible at doing it. I've seen guys full throttle their boats onto their trailer to the point where the dock is getting soaked and they could literally launch up and into their truck bed.

Like Riverbottom said, it's the people who dont know how to do it right. I think there's a fine line where power loading changes from getting the boat onto the trailer into complete rediculousness/laziness. There's no need to slam the throttle to get the boat on the trailer, if you're doing that you're wrong, plain and simple.

There is no way you can load a 800lb dry weight boat by hand faster than I can by driving it up on the trailer. No way.... And if the wind is blowing, there is any chop or current...definitely no way.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=352281#p352281 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 14 May 2014, 14:56[/url]"]There is no way you can load a 800lb dry weight boat by hand faster than I can by driving it up on the trailer. No way.... And if the wind is blowing, there is any chop or current...definitely no way.

Well, you have a point about the wind and current. But still water I bet I'm faster loading. I'm talking solo here, no one else driving your truck and trailer down the ramp and out with you sitting at the helm. You have to get out of your truck, get in your boat, throttle it up and back, drive it on the trailer, get out of the boat, attach the winch, crank it up the last few feet, get back in your truck and drive off the ramp. I can without a question load my boat faster without having to get in it. Push it out the 14 feet past the roller guides and drag it back with the bowline, then crank it up the last few feet. It takes seconds. My boat floats right up to within a few inches of the bow stop. I have roller guides on my trailer, so as long as I can throw my bow line around the roller guide I can easily pull the boat up. And I am standing right there with the winch strap. We need a competition!

Push the boat off. Bow clears the trailer bunk. Throttle onto trailer. Step off the bow onto the tailgate. Snap the winch clasp. Two cranks. Hook the safety chain. Pull up. Pull both plugs. Strap the stern. Grease the jet. Like clockwork. 800lb dry hull....load it faster than you, never get my feet wet or strain a muscle. ;-)

Sounds like you've been watching those guys that give loading under power a bad name.