Duracraft finished

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
270Handiman said:
Do you have any pictures from doing the side panals?

I checked and apparently I didn't take any photos of doing the side panels. I installed the floor first. I used pink building foam between the ribs. The foam stiffened the bottom and added floatation. I cut out the aluminum panels and traced the curve of the side panels onto the floor. I removed the panels and at the line I traced I added cut pieces of aluminum angle that were bent in a vise to match the side angle. A bevel gauge worked great for determining the angle. The aluminum angle pieces were riveted to the floor with pop rivets then the bottom of the side panels were pop riveted to the angle pieces. The top edge of the panels fit underneath the gunwales. I riveted the top edge to the hull using solid rivets like used in the hull. I considered tack welding the bottom of the side panels to the floor, but decided against it since I am a novice welder and I have a stick welder. I suspect this is the area of the most stress, but I have not seen any flex in the sides when on the water. I also drilled holes in the side panels about 6" up from the bottom and sprayed in a few cans of expanding foam for extra floatation. The good thing with the hydro turf is it hides all of the not so perfect joints. Carpet would likely do the same.

Kurt

hello kurt

my name is Blake and i am looking at the hydro turf for a similar project as yours....could you let me know how you attached the material pre placed adhesive or epoxy...and how durable the material is

thanks

Blake,

I used Weldwood Contact Cement to adhere the Hydro Turf. I used a brush to apply the contact cement to the aluminum and HT. Once the adhesive is dry to the touch, stick it to the aluminum. It seems reasonably durable. You can go to HT's website to order a sample if you want to check it out before purchase.

Kurt

I used the Sherwin Williams enamel that was recommended by the store. I had the store match a paint chip I picked up at Home Depot. It's probably my lack of surface prep that is causing some paint adhesion problems in high wear areas. No big deal as I can touch up those areas if I want. I think I still have the can if you want me to get the paint code.

Kurt

Awesome transformation.
I just got a 16ft duracraft I'm about to do something similar to.
What kind of paint did you use?