Engine Battery charging Circuit Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisP

Reaction score
I have a question regarding how to run my battery charging output from my outboard to my battery. I am using 6 AWG wire from the engine to the batter and then from the Battery to the Positive and Negative BUS bars. I am using a 30 amp fuse on the positive circuit from the engine to the battery and a 50 amp breaker from the battery to the positive bus BUS bar. My real question involves the negative, can I run my negative from the engine directly to the Negative BUS or should I go Negative from the engine to the battery directly?

Was wondering if it makes any difference, would save some money on wire because the battery is in the front and engine in the rear, drew a diagram to show the two options. All advice is greatly apprciated!

Thanks - Chris

Attachments

• Ground Circuit.png
    Ground Circuit.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 452
Use the second example for the ground. Any place along that cable is the same electrical point. Also, use a 30A breaker to feed the positive buss bar. 50 is too much and you want it to trip in the event of a short before it burns up any wiring.

I second everything said above. Anything connected is the same, regardless of "order" in the circuit. Fuses should match too.