Finally happening!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I'm only a year behind on this post, but I'm reading it for the first time. OMG!!!

Has to be one of the cleanest builds to date. Just when you think you've figure out the layout, you see something like this and automatically want to scratch it all and start over. Loving the side lockers and open cockpit.

Very nice build from top to bottom! =D>

T.

Awesome build. How heavy did all the wood make the boat, and has it affected the performance? Great Job.

I have a 12' version of almost the exact same boat. Mine is a few years newer, non the less I bought this boat and trailer almost two years ago and it's been sitting in my garage upside down collecting dust. The previous owners had about twelve coats of oil based house paint over the original paint so it took me over 50+ hours of work to strip and remove all the grime/paint. Your project motivated me to get started on mine. I completely stripped everything out of the boat, just finished stripping all of the paint off of the outside, and used a power drill and buffer attachment to rough up the surface a little. The only thing I messed up on was I took the seat holder pieces off except for the front two. I want to do basically the same as your boat so I will have to fasten the other four back on. I hope you won't mind if I basically copy your design, I really like it and I too am 6'4" tall so the extra space is a plus. I will post progress, and pictures as I go along. Thanks again for the motivation! =D>

I have to get started on my trailer, it's not in too bad of shape so I might wait on that until I get some fishing in after the boat is finished. How did you fasten those 2x2's onto the bottom of the boat? Sheet metal screws I am guessing I could not tell with the pictures.

earlier on you said you cut and tacked all the plywood up for the storage spaces etc...but then you said that every piece was individually wrapped and glued, does that mean you took it all apart and then reattached all the plywood after the carpet was on? Or did you just not secure all the individual pieces right away? Looks awesome, just trying to figure out how to do mine.

Hey Fudoshin sorry, but I haven't been on in a while. Finally got a viable motor for the boat this spring, so most of my time has been spent fishing. The boat has worked out to be everything I wanted it to be, and I have really enjoyed being able to take out my friends and family. As for your questions, I did use sheetmetal screws and some sealer to attach to the ribs, and as for the plywood I did tack everything in place to make sure it fit, removed it all and carpeted it, then put it all back on. Good luck with your build. LOVE THOSE MIRROCRAFTS! :beer:

That's what I did as well, I have taken pictures up to this point, I now have the frame attached to the ribs, I am getting the plywood this week, the lumber guy at home depot told me that I can use 1/2 plywood through out and that it actually can hold more pounds per square foot than the 3/4" and that should take my weight down a bit. Something I think I will do once I cut all my pieces is I will glaze them with a fiberglass resin, should prolong the life of the wood somewhere around 10-15 more years depending on the use. Mine is actually a 12' of your exact same boat, so I will have to adjust some of the lengths and what not of the frame to compensate for the loss in length on the boat. Thanks again for posting your build, it helped me a ton in mine. something else I did with my subfloor frame is I used Gorilla glue (wood) and put inbetween every single joint to make it that much stronger and prevent screws coming lose or vibration noise, those things aren't coming apart..EVER! Lol good luck fishing this summer I hope to have mine done in the next month. :shock:

This job is not easy to do when you have A) no carpentry experience B) only a saw zaw/skill saw and C) Don't know what you are doing...lol...none the less your plans have helped a ton, thanks again for posting the pics. I am almost done framing, except where your casting deck is you have two small seat braces at the front, my 12' boat didn't have a small bench seat there so I have to try and figure out what I am going to put there for bracing. Shouldn't be too big of an issue. How did you put your seats? did you put two platforms at the front and just move the seat from the lower deck to the casting deck when you wanted too? Just trying to get some last minute ideas. Also on your subfloor did you just roll the carpet over that and glue it over the 2x2 base boards?

Sounds like you're humming right along. Don't worry about the carpentry skills and small tools available. I was in pretty much the exact same boat when I started. Just read alot on here and winged it. Might not want to worry about putting the casting deck in if its gonna be too much of a pain. Mines not really that tippy and I'm starting to get used to it, but if there alot of boat traffic out making waves it gets pretty shaky. I can imagine it would be magnified in a smaller boat. I had every intention of putting a posthole for the seat on the deck, and just be able to swap the front seat up to there, but I haven't done it yet. The carpet on the floor was not wrapped like everything else, just laid on top, glued, and stapled around the edges. As I installed the verticle side panels that box the floor in, I tried to push them down tight against the floor to also help hold the edges in place. Hope that helps. I can take a pic of the inside all fisished up and post it if you want. Speaking of pics, lets see them ones you took. you know everyone on the forum is a picture junkie :LOL2: . Few from the weekend

Buddy with a basket full of big gills
102_1551.jpg

Bouns hammerhandle
102_1550.jpg