First boat and needs work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I spent some time on her and got on the water - I even caught a fish!

Great pics Firstfruits, awesome to see another one - I looked further into it and it's indeed a 1963 Sportsman and even found the original catalog online. It's a great car-topper and infact I think I may keep this pretty close to how I've restored it at this time so I can easily put it on my truck (with 2 ppl).

Thanks lckstckn2smknbrls and others it does seem like the general consensuses to use solid or at least closed pop rivets, but consider me an experiment because I ended up sticking with the few pop-rivets for now, I sealed them up good with 5200 and we'll see how they hold up, a friend has done similar and going on 5 years on his 14' jon.

I finished what I wanted to at this point and got to test her out with my buddy the other day, it was awesome being out there fishing and not a single leak after fixin her up!

Here are a few more pics:
2B1JbBA.jpg

ssPUKyK.jpg

Sz8NAd4.jpg

TXI3pNu.jpg

Sh7Dl19.jpg

OVVJd1n.jpg

wpaHpVF.jpg

gkrRMXF.jpg

9eU6gvY.jpg

4eAS1o2.jpg

An update since it's been a few months - I've since bought a 55lbs trolling motor with batter/charger, an anchor, life jackets for the whole fam, made a few rod holders, and most importantly I've been out on the boat 1 to 2 times a week fishing like crazy.

I also wanted to update that so far the pop rivets have been holding up great. I remember searching the forums when I started this project and couldn't find much, most recommended solid rivets, which I'm sure are ideal, but the rivets I've replaced and sealed with 3200 are holding up strong so far and I'm not babying her :wink:

Cheers