First Jon Boat project. Building list of ideas and Materials

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully401

Reaction score
Hey everyone, New member here and novice boat mod-er. Im very happy to have found this website because without it, i would basically have no idea what i am doing for building my Jon boat in the next few months. I currently do not own a Jon boat. I have full intention of Buying a 14foot flat bottom at some point this summer.

Below is a picture of what i would like to do to my jon boat once i get it. Of course i am open to suggestions on placement of everything. As i want my boat to be well balanced. But also very functional for up to 3 people fishing on it.

I know there are certain paints, carpeting material, fuses, electronics, sealants. and framing ideas for building a durable, lightweight long lasting boat. This is where i need everyone's help the most! of course i would like to keep things as cheap as possible, but i do not want to sacrifice quality too much either. I dont need the BEST thing on the market for each item. But i dont want the cheapest either.

Framing: i always thought the build everything out of wood. But after browsing this site it looks like Aluminum is the way too go. I have never done riveting before. Any suggestions on what type of aluminum i should use and maybe a video or two on how to rivet would be greatly appreciated!!!

Type of engine i want to run is a 9.9/10hp outboard.
Question: how do i hook up an outboard to a steering wheel on a center console!?

Batteries: I currently have 1 optima blue top for my TM, i plan on buying a 2nd one to match up
Question: Should i dedicate 1 Battery to the transom TM only, and the other battery to all other electronics? or would a 3rd be a good idea? how does an on board charger work?

Electronics: I would like to run a live well( i currently have a cooler live well, not sure if my pump and such will work in the boat one)2 fish finders eventually (only 1 to start) It would be cool to run a radio to a speaker or two ( i am well versed in car audio no issues with that). Then the proper lighting for the boat in the front and rear i forget what these are called. Also some small LED lights for all my storage compartments. And of course the TM. Then a speedo, tach, voltmeter. maybe oil pressure gauge for the center console. Of course switches for everything as well at the center console.
Question: i am well versed with electronics i shouldn't have any problems installing. But i would love suggestions for what fuse blocks, chargers, lights, speakers i should buy for the boat.

Balancing and overall weight: Take a look at my design below. I tried my best to make it so the boat would be well balanced. But i am very open to suggestions on battery placement, storage, the live well etc.

Thank you to everyone who can help me out with this! i am really hoping i can get moving on this project by the end of june to mid july, depending on money of course

Attachments

• jon boat build.jpg
    jon boat build.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 665
Are you going to remove all the factory seats? Because I would think with all the seats removed the boat wouldn't be very structurally sound. Where is the flotation foam?

Unless you have all 2 piece rods that you can take apart your rod locker is way too small.

Once you start trying to put stuff in a 14' boat you realize how little room you have. Your drawing is drawn more to the scale of an 18' boat.

My suggestion since you haven't bought the boat yet and you want to do the mods you listed with 3 people fishing out of it is to go with a bigger boat. That is a lot of weight for a 14' boat. I have a 14' v hull and fishing 3 adults out of it isn't even a consideration especially with the deck/ storage I'm at the boats load rating with 2 people.

Thanks for the input rusty. This is why i joined this website i really dont know too much about modding boats so i really appreciate the input. I am now looking into just buying a 16foot boat possibly brand new. See what the future brings.

Whatever you do go no less than a 48" width boat. Might cost a little more but in the end you'll be more satisfied.

If you are talking about 3 people fishing I would look at a longer boat. Two people fishing you'd be fine.

The diagram you have drawn looks as though you'd be removing some flotation foam. You'll be fine except in the event it gets capsized then that's where you need that foam.