Fogging

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutnstrut

Reaction score
Well just back my Johnson 15hp tiller. I had to have a fuel pump installed. I placed the motor in a tank when i got home to run it . After about 5 - 10 minutes of running with the fuel line connected, i removed the line and let the motor run out of fuel. Would the next step be to remove the two spark plugs and spray inside with fogging oil as i turn the cylinders.

I'd mix some stabil with your fuel, then run it through again. Even though you ran it dry (which is not a good practice on larger motors with more than one carb - single barrel, single carbed motors, like yours, are fine), there will still be fuel in the carb and fuel lines, and will gum up by spring.

Then, fog, like you mentioned.

Replace your gear lube. Should be done annually, reason for doing it when you winterize, is that if there is a seal issue and water has gotten in, it cannot freeze, and pop a gearcase. It may not sound like a big issue, but it happens quite a bit, even down South where I am, where we don't have many major freezes.

For years I added Sta-bil (or something like it) on the last tank of the year.
After taking it for the last run, I'd simply choke it raise the RPM, and kill the switch.
Never drained carbs. But generally brought the engines inside for the winter.
Never an issue in the spring.

Latest posts