Frogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed about small fish, but I saw 3 of them as they came halfway out and rolled wih the frog disappearing in their mouth. All 3 easily cleard 2.5 lbs, one was at least 3.5 if not 4lbs - I swear some of thes were some big fish.

I'm just chalking it up as a bad day catching, but a good day fishing. I had some action anyway.

Sometimes it is just all timing. Feeling the fish is not always the most important factor in hooking fish with a frog. Think about this; you feel the fish, so it obviously feels you, you set, they spit... Then you just have those days where whatever you do, nothing works. In open water I wait till I cannot see the frog, at night I just hear a splash and wait a few seconds, then just let them have it. Same goes for fishing over solid pads really. If I cant see my frog, I set it. Like Ron Popeil says, "set it, and forget it" :roll:

If you want to catch fish on a frog, get a HEAVY (not medium heavy) action rod and 50lb braid (or heavier). Work the bait with your rod tip up (a little under straight up). When a fish hits, drop the rod, take up the slack, and set the hook as hard as you can. It's not a finesse game. You'll either have the bass hooked if the bait was in his mouth or it will come flying back if he missed it and you couldn't tell. No more of the "hooked for a second" or "he spit it when he came up."

I do this and I don't miss fish if they had the bait at all. The biggest problem that keeps people from catching more fish on frogs is a rod that's not heavy enough. I switched to a heavy and it has opened my eyes.

Hey guys check this out -35 piece Zoom Frog Kit.
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90370?hvarTarget=search&cmCat=10013455

MadCatX said:
Hey guys check this out -35 piece Zoom Frog Kit.
https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90370?hvarTarget=search&cmCat=10013455

Had it for the past couple years. I wouldn't buy it unless its one of those times throughout the year that BPS puts Zoom platics 20-25% off. Makes for a helluva deal.

Yeah man, I had to get one - 18.42 for all that, four hooks and the carrying case. I tied in a few other tools to help cover the shipping. I couldn't pass it up.

Frogs are one of my goto baits. If I can't pick up a pattern or its cloudy or windy it usually never fails. We get alot of scum on the bayous I fish here in Michigan and you can't catch the fish underneath without a frog or mouse. I prefer the soft plastic frogs over the spros or similar. I started fishing frogbaits with the spro type frogs then went to the soft plastic ones and noticed a drastic improvement in hook sets/blow ups. Not to mention I can let it sink, over holes or when a fish misses it. My brand this year have been the gander mountain frogs. Not too small or too big and come in some great colors. I like to fish them pretty fast to begin with looking for that reaction bite but if that doesn't work I will literally pull let it sit for ten seconds then pull and have caught some big ones that way. Trying to make it look like an easy meal for a big lazy bass. Im gonna post a pic of a nice one I caught the other day on a frog in some sparse lily pads it was windy and cloudy. Too windy to slow fish so I let the current take us and speed fished the frog. caught three in about 15 minutes that way.

Attachments

• bass river rec.JPG
    bass river rec.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 63