G3 1036 Jon Boat with Honda 5hp outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04315A96-AB0B-46F0-AF6B-895670B348C9.jpeg5FF3036A-7098-4040-AFAB-A2652627193B.jpegThanks Ryan,
The equipment used is a 10” Delta Unisaw with a Biesemeyer fence.

Took the boat out today and did some tests with a different pitched prop. The original prop spec's are 7-7/8" dia. and 7-1/2" pitch. I purchased a prop spec'd at 7-7/8" dia. and 6-3/4"pitch and did some runs with the boat loaded with myself in it. The boat got up on plane much faster with no struggling. Top speed was 16mph. Next I tried the 7-7/8" x 7-1/2" prop. The boat took much longer to get up on plane. It seemed like it labored some before it got up on plane. Top speed was 16mph. The engine turned lower rpm's. I believe the engine with the lower pitched prop installed was hitting the rev limiter. How many rpm's that is I dont know. I only ran it for about 20 seconds at full throttle and backed it off to 13mph. The engine seems to like running at 13mph. Once I get the tach installed i will do some more testing. I want to calculate prop slippage on both props. But from what I've experienced I believe the lower pitch prop might be best for my setup. With the tach I will be able to keep the rpm's in check. Will post pics of the tach once it’s installed.

Thinking of other things I can do to the boat that won’t add to much weight. :-k A Bimini top would be nice.

Daughter and I went out on the boat this morning. This was the first time two people were in it. The center seat was removed from the seat post. We went out for an hour. I was surprised it went 13mph. The lower pitched prop definitely was the right choice.

My daughter came up with a pretty good idea. She said put a large beach umbrella in the seat post. It’s something to think about.
Update: my daughter just showed me a couple pictures of 6ft-5inch by 10ft umbrella. It might work.

It’s be a fun summer with the 1036. We explored lots of coves in falls lake. It’s been hot mid mornings so we got out early and most of the time the lake was very calm. The engine is great, can’t say anything bad about it. Overall we could not ask for a better setup.