Garmin UHD2 93SV or Ultra 106SV?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
I just got a Livescope LVS34 and need to upgrade head units.

The choices I'm considering in the $1k range are:
  1. UHD2 93SV w/GT56($1,199)
  2. Ultra 106SV w/GT54 ($999) W/GT56, it's $1,819- a bit much.

Which is a better head unit, the UHV2 93SV or the 106SV Ultra? Anything in particular stand out?

I initially like the 106SV with both fresh and saltwater maps, since I fish both. Are the included maps decent, or will I end up buying upgraded maps?

Secondly, is the difference between the GT54 and the GT56 transducers a night and day difference?

I'm way behind in my knowledge, so I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

I have a 106sv and really like it. I have had no need to buy additional maps but I have downloaded plenty of other users data. Can't help with the transducer differences yet. I have the gt56 paired to the 106sv at the helm. My trolling motor has the gt54 built into it so I plan on rigging another screen on the bow to pair with the gt54 before spring .

Was just doing a little reading on the subject elsewhere and it seems the gt54 doesn't really read below 100ft deep. There's only 2 places I fish that go deeper than that so not a big deal for me but could be for you

Removed my Lowrance stuff and went Garmin. So far I have the 106SV UHD with the 54 transducer on the transom. The unit is mounted at the bow tied into live scope as well. It’s a great set up and so far has left nothing to really be desired. I’m also curious about how much better the 56 transducer really is. My plan is to buy the 93 with the 56 for the helm,network it and swap out the 54 for the 56.
At any rate this Garmin is way better than my several year old Lowrance stuff.

I've been researching until my eyes go cross. Everyone, including you guys, seems happy with the 106 with the GT54 or 56.

I want the GT56, but I don't really want to spend $1,500 on a unit, when I just bought the livescope.

So to stay in budget, I'm looking at either the106SV with a GT54, or I can go to the UHD2 93SV with the GT56. Here are the differences I've seen in the specs:

Ultra 106SV Positives: larger screen, more pixels, multiple network and SD ports, can use a LVS12 without a black box, and a few other useful features.
Ultra 106SV Negatives: GT54 in that price range, it has an older processer, no wireless networking and it's a discontinued product, so there will be few or no new software updates.

UHD2 93SV Positives: It's a current product, faster processor, comes with the GT56 transducer and has wireless networking
UHD2 93SV Negatives: It's slightly smaller with fewer pixels, only a single SD slot and network port.

So it's either more ports and a bit better resolution or wireless and better processing and transducer. UGH - so hard to decide!

First from what I read the big difference in the 54 and 56 is at depth over 100 ft.....I don't fish that deep. My 93's are older but do not think they have updated the cradle, the 106 and 126 cradle are much easier to use and secure. They have the 126 with the 54 at BPS for $1.499 much bigger screen, I really like.

Yeah, I know, that's the problem!

I could get the UHD 93SV from the GPS store for $645, and it would work fine. The 106SV is only $999. UHV2 93SV is $1,199. Found a126SV floor model with full warranty for $1,350, regular price is $1,499. Then we get into the Ultra2 stuff (what I really want, and it's $1,800+ It goes on and on.

I'm like a kid in a candy store, allowance money in hand, trying to decide.

Ok I been doing more reading and if your a big side imaging user than get the 10" screen and gt56. I knew the 10" screen had better resolution but I didn't realize the gt56 transducer is 500watts the 54 is 350....should be a pretty big difference In detail. I'm stuck with the 54 up front it's built into my trolling motor. I don't see me running sides scan from upfront anyway.

Yeah, I know, that's the problem!

I could get the UHD 93SV from the GPS store for $645, and it would work fine. The 106SV is only $999. UHV2 93SV is $1,199. Found a126SV floor model with full warranty for $1,350, regular price is $1,499. Then we get into the Ultra2 stuff (what I really want, and it's $1,800+ It goes on and on.

I'm like a kid in a candy store, allowance money in hand, trying to decide.
Read the description carefully. A buddy of mine bought the 93 at what he thought was a good price only to find out it didn’t have the US inland lake maps.

Well, I've been thinking about this at length, and I'm leaning toward the Ultra 106SV for several reasons...

1. Charts - It comes with fresh and saltwater charts for no extra cost, which I would use regularly
2. Networking ability - Having two Ethernet ports, I can run my livescope and network it with my current 93SV+ without the need to buy a hub. That is a big thing for me. Two screens showing the Livescope images would be really nice.
3. Size + Resolution - It is bigger and has better pixel count than the UHD2 93SV And the GT54 is a good transducer, still a step up from my current transducer. I probably could sell the GT54 for $200 and get the GT56 for $380, if I really wanted to.
4. Cost - The unit is $999, but I have $300 in BPS gift cards, so in the end, it will cost me the same out of pocket as a discontinued UHD 93SV.

So, for that price, I get a great screen, a great network and money in the bank for future upgrades. I lose the wireless networking and future updates, but it should hold me for a number of years before I have to worry about upgrading again.

The other strong contender is a floor model Ultra 126SV with the GT56 transducer. Bigger screen, better transducer. Unfortunately, I can't use my BPS gift cards for it. But a 12" screen is tempting!

So my torture is almost over.

The 106sv is amazing. The side scan has found me spots I've ridden by for years and never knew was there. Not sure if you have ever used garmins active captian before but I've found it to be even more valuable than the preloaded maps. Especially on the smaller bodies of water that don't contain much info on the preloaded maps.

Thank you for sharing that. I'm 90% certain I'm going with the 106. Thanks for the reminder to use the Active Captain app.

I have typically been running to the Bay for bigger saltwater fish, but I plan to go on the lake more this year and learn how to fish well right here at home. Learning the water is a big first step.

Fyi, you can likely buy the 56 for about $300 but you will only get about $100 for your 54, as everyone is doing what you are doing or buying two 93's and selling the spare 54.

The 56 is a great upgrade to the 54 for detail and finding structure,if that's a need.

Read the description carefully. A buddy of mine bought the 93 at what he thought was a good price only to find out it didn’t have the US inland lake maps.
Your bu
Your buddy likely bought the 94, which has full offshore maps only.

Okay guys, I've decided on a plan of action.

I'm going to return the LVS34 that was $1,200+ after tax
Buy the Ultra 106SV for $999 - gift cards = $699
Buy a used LVS32 for $330 locally from FB. (I'm perfectly happy with the LVS32 images)
Sell my existing Echomap 93SV (for $330?)
...And add iPilot to my Riptide ST

I think this is the best plan of action for me. Spot-lock would be more valuable to me than a slight upgrade in imaging. And later, I might be able to upgrade to a GT56 transducer if I can sell the GT54 for enough. I guess we will see if I see the need

Feels good to finally have a solid decision. No more looking at specs and weighing options for hours on end.

Now I just need to figure out which iPilot kit will work with my Riptide...

Good plan. Can pretty much guarantee you’ll be happy with the 106. I like mine a lot. I have the 32 and it does everything I need. Actually I only really use livescope less than 50% of the time I’m on the water. Have no desire to spend the extra for the 34.

Fyi, you can likely buy the 56 for about $300 but you will only get about $100 for your 54, as everyone is doing what you are doing or buying two 93's and selling the spare 54.

The 56 is a great upgrade to the 54 for detail and finding structure,if that's a need.
That sounds decent. Where can I get a 56 for $300?

I'm just realizing I don't need a 2nd unit for up front I can pair the 106sv to a cheap 10" tablet and it will mirror what the garmin sees. I won't have control of anything from up front but 90% of the time I leave my helm screen 3 way split between side imaging , traditional, and gps anyway and that's all I'd need from upfront.

I'm just realizing I don't need a 2nd unit for up front I can pair the 106sv to a cheap 10" tablet and it will mirror what the garmin sees. I won't have control of anything from up front but 90% of the time I leave my helm screen 3 way split between side imaging , traditional, and gps anyway and that's all I'd need from upfront.
Aren’t you going to be using livescope up front? If you’re thinking of connecting to the tablet via Bluetooth I’m not sure that’s possible.

Last edited: