Got shot at this afternoon...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago I was at my sisters house who lives on a lake and was cursed out by a bass fisherman as he went past her dock because I was fishing off of her dock. He thought I had no right to fish there while he was trolling by. I was there a couple of hours before he came by. He apparently though he owned the lake. He didn't pull a gun though. If he did there would have been a shootout right there.

jpage said:
Was this on lake lainer ?

It was in lake Lanier.
Your all right in your own right! Many things crossed my mind. It was obvious this guy knew it would be his old against ours from his actions. I never heard back from the police or the DNR... I can show them where the casings are and where the bullets hit as well. I had my camera running but it did not pick up on the sound due to being by the boat motor and in a waterproof case. I felt it was best to leave and live another day. I think what we are going to do will show him we are a force to be left alone. We are going back with several boats and two people on each and yes some will be packing and some may be DNR. We will throw the nets at his feet and dock and all around his location. There is safety in numbers when you expect something to go wrong it's best to plan accordingly. This guy can't help himself so he should be an easy fish to fry!

FYI fire arms on the lake it self is a felony due to being controlled by ACOE

jpage said:
FYI fire arms on the lake it self is a felony due to being controlled by ACOE
I'm not so sure about that or what your classifying as a fire arm? Its legal to carry shot guns and shoot geese and ducks. I've been told that before but I've blasted the birds from the sky right in front of DNR as well as sheriffs... Rules are 300 yards from a dock to hunt is all I know in reference to birds. I'll take a scattergun over a pistol anyday :)

You can hunt on Georgia power lakes but not Lainer or alatuna because of army control

jpage said:
You can hunt on Georgia power lakes but not Lainer or alatuna because of army control
We do it every year along with lots of other hunters... No problems from anyone. But it's just goose and duck season, there is also archery hunts on the islands for deer. The deer hunts are a draw program.

That sucks man.

Theres a nice fishing hole near my house thats a public access area on a local creek. Its on DNR maps as public access, and there is a parking pull off.

However, a local farmer seems to think its his, and has put up a gate and I've had him drive past and glare at me a few times. I think he knows he can't do anything about it, but doesn't like people fishing there for some reason.

lugoismad said:
That sucks man.

Theres a nice fishing hole near my house thats a public access area on a local creek. Its on DNR maps as public access, and there is a parking pull off.

However, a local farmer seems to think its his, and has put up a gate and I've had him drive past and glare at me a few times. I think he knows he can't do anything about it, but doesn't like people fishing there for some reason.
I hear there is a ramp similar that was gated due to a bad crowd around here on an awesome river. They must have something to hide!

Drug dealing, selling or manufacturing. I remember years ago, my dad took us fishing to a new spot. We were catching fish and then we heard gun shots. Not uncommon in the areas of the atchafalaya basin, but the bb's from the shot were raining on us. Dad ordered us to pick our stuff up quickly and get in the truck.

As we were getting in the truck a couple of guys came out the bushes and said they were sorry, just doing a bit of duck hunting. It was May. My dad figured they were selling or making drugs or selling or growing marijuana.

Crazies, that's all.....just crazies!!

onthewater102 said:
Insanity said:
And yet another reason I don't leave home with out my pistol. I'm the kinda person that would shoot back. :mrgreen:

Pistol at range VS. rifle...you lose every time.

Unfortunately nothing will happen to the SOB because its your word vs. his.

...I can hit a 55 gal drum @ 100+ yrds w several of my pistols.

juggernot said:
onthewater102 said:
Insanity said:
And yet another reason I don't leave home with out my pistol. I'm the kinda person that would shoot back. :mrgreen:

Pistol at range VS. rifle...you lose every time.

Unfortunately nothing will happen to the SOB because its your word vs. his.

...I can hit a 55 gal drum @ 100+ yrds w several of my pistols.

He can hit a belt buckle at twice that distance with a rifle if he's worth a shot.

I hunt a public river all the time for ducks and geese. Typically we do not see much boat traffic or people on the canal running/biking because it's usually cold during the season. We are ALWAYS respectful of anyone in the area and no matter how many geese/ducks are decoying in we will NOT shoot if another boater is on the river on someone is on the canal downrange. It's just a basic matter of being safe. Last year during the early season (September) we had a pair of guys (idiots) on a boat come trolling by and were actually casting into our decoys. Typically we set our furthest decoy out 30-40 yards as a distance indicator. So these guys were at least that close, seeing a few guys all camo'd up holding shotguns yet they still came into our decoys making casts. We didn't say a word. Gave them a friendly wave, and let them do their thing. They eventually trolled on up river. It's just not worth it getting into a pissing match with someone about being in our way on a public river. Best to avoid confrontation when possible, especially when guns are involved.