guide bunks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtydg

Reaction score
I would like some feed back on the placement of guide bunks or side bunks. How much space is normally allowable or needed between the width of the boat and the bunks?

I have guide posts instead of bunks and set them to have 1.5" clearance on each side at the widest part of the boat. I set them a little wide to test since they are easy to adjust but haven't had any problems loading the boat so I just left them where they were.

Depending on the weight of the hull I like to leave at least a 1" gap on the sides. The bottom bunks should nestle against the bottom strakes to keep the hull centered on the trailer. The side guides should just help get the hull lined up with the trailer in windy or current conditions.

Mine end up having a gap of about 1.5-2" on each side between the guide and the boat because the widest point of my boat is in the middle so I need clearance for that. They are a life saver for sure, I added them a month ago and since then loading the boat is way nicer.

Couple months ago I had the same question when I was adding side bunks. After reading a bunch of threads from numerous sites it seemed like the 2" mark was what folks were setting theirs at.

I set mine at 2" and it looked like a HUGE gap between the bunks and boat. So....I set min at about a half inch and have been happy with it.

Heck....start at an inch and adjust from there as you try it out to see what works best for you.

Agree with the above.....just a night and day difference in loading the boat w/ bunks....a much more enjoyable experience. =D>

Mine are about 1/2" on each side too. Gives the boat a little wiggle room, but not too much. Also make sure when you install the side bunks that the boat is exactly where you want it on the trailer. Also, after you hit them a few times wih the boat, be sure and check to make sure they are still tight.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326883#p326883 said:
chrispy186 » Today, 17:29[/url]"]Mine are about 1/2" on each side too. Gives the boat a little wiggle room, but not too much. Also make sure when you install the side bunks that the boat is exactly where you want it on the trailer. Also, after you hit them a few times wih the boat, be sure and check to make sure they are still tight.
Thanks for the feed back. I am setting them at the 1.5 inch mark and will check them after a few loadings.

Thanks to all of your responses.

Latest posts