Tin boats on trailers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought and looked at dozens of aluminum boats for sale (12-14’). They were all strapped to the trailer. Is this normal? No side bunks? Mine is winched into bow stop and strapped to trailer

Pretty common for that size. Some of the nicer 14' boats and most of the 16 footers have better quality and more of a custom matched trailer. My 1440 jon has some welded on side guides covered with a piece of pvc but the trailer is pretty minimal so no good places to strap the transom down to with transom ties. I have to toss a strap over the boat near the rear bench and attach it to the trailer frame when I tow. Having zero guides when loading on the trailer sounds like a real pain though. I've only had one boat without them but it was a v-hull and would straighten itself up once the bow V got into the forward bunk.

Pretty common for that size. Some of the nicer 14' boats and most of the 16 footers have better quality and more of a custom matched trailer. My 1440 jon has some welded on side guides covered with a piece of pvc but the trailer is pretty minimal so no good places to strap the transom down to with transom ties. I have to toss a strap over the boat near the rear bench and attach it to the trailer frame when I tow. Having zero guides when loading on the trailer sounds like a real pain though. I've only had one boat without them but it was a v-hull and would straighten itself up once the bow V got into the forward bunk.
Yes, tossing a strap here too. Sounds like a generic trailer for a simple little boat. It’s ok, I like simple!

I have a 16' aluminum on bunks and no need for side bunks. Bigger boats (taller sides) can benefit from side bunks or if your boat ramp fights the current or wind the side posts can help hold it centered. You want the strap to help hold it down when you hit bumps.

trailer7.jpg

Yeah, I use stern straps. Although I can't imagine this 4000lb chunk of aluminum will go anywhere, just due diligence if there is ever an accident.

20180620_180555-L.jpg

Yeah, I use stern straps. Although I can't imagine this 4000lb chunk of aluminum will go anywhere, just due diligence if there is ever an accident.

20180620_180555-L.jpg
I have a similar Tracker Targa 18 with stern straps. It’s quite a difference!

Either style makes no difference as long as they hold the boat onto the trailer. As boats get bigger and wider, tossing a strap across the gunwale becomes more difficult. To each his own.

I'm still using the strap that came on the trailer though there are two points on the transom where it used to use stwo stern straps. I'll consider changing over once this strap goes bad.

I always ran transom straps to the trailer frame on my older stuff with full length trailers, but the current trend in small trailers is to have the bunkers extend much longer than the actual frame. Going from the frame over the top of the gunwhales feels more secure than attaching to a piece of possibly questionably mounted 2x4 bunker. Then again, I've seen several tinny's with crushed gunwhales were somebody got carried away strapping it down.

(edit) Side rails would be nice but cost money and weight... my 14' is just over 100 pounds so the big benefit is not guiding it on the trailer so much as keeping it off the guy next to me's trailer if there's a breeze. Moving the boat side to side on the trailer is not a problem, keeping it from moving is. lol.

Last edited:
I always ran transom straps to the trailer frame on my older stuff with full length trailers, but the current trend in small trailers is to have the bunkers extend much longer than the actual frame. Going from the frame over the top of the gunwhales feels more secure than attaching to a piece of possibly questionably mounted 2x4 bunker. Then again, I've seen several tinny's with crushed gunwhales were somebody got carried away strapping it down.

(edit) Side rails would be nice but cost money and weight... my 14' is just over 100 pounds so the big benefit is not guiding it on the trailer so much as keeping it off the guy next to me's trailer if there's a breeze. Moving the boat side to side on the trailer is not a problem, keeping it from moving is. lol.
😂I know what you mean about meeting your neighbor up close and personal!