Hand Launching and recovery questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the smaller vintage trailers use round tubes. I'm looking for one in Minnesota. If yours fits this bill, try selling it to someone like me, but in Colorado, and then buy one that works better. I'm just trying to protect some vintage stuff...

I was thinking about that, but to do the tilting bunks I was going to lay the bunks on the narrow sides...But I think I might just screw on some 2x2s on the middle of the bunks and lay them flat. That way I still have the tilting bunk but get more support by laying the bunks flat...and I can use that PVC 4x4 for a bunk slick.

What about using guide-ons with the tilting bunks, especially if you are using bunk slicks? I
use the post guide-ons and a few times they have saved me.

nlester said:
What about using guide-ons with the tilting bunks, especially if you are using bunk slicks? I
use the post guide-ons and a few times they have saved me.

I've thought about it. I might do that at some time, but right now I just want to get it easier to get back on the trailer so I can go fishing this year. I haven't been yet and it's killing me! It doesn't help that I drive by the lake every day on my way to work...

Another option is to install a set of transom wheels. I used them for years on a 12 ft. Alumacraft, both with a trailer and as a car topper. Not inexpensive but very effective; even for unimproved launches. Lots of brands, but here is one:https://boatloader.com/wheels.html

rickybobbybend said:
Another option is to install a set of transom wheels. I used them for years on a 12 ft. Alumacraft, both with a trailer and as a car topper. Not inexpensive but very effective; even for unimproved launches. Lots of brands, but here is one:https://boatloader.com/wheels.html

Any problems deploying them with the boat in the water, to get them ready to load on the trailer? That was my biggest worry. I think if/when I upgrade a bigger boat (like a 1648 or similar, if I can figure out a way to hand launch one) I'll go that route for sure.

I have used both pneumatic and solid tire varieties and no problem with either. The inflated tire variety is easier to roll in mud or sand and typically is detached from the hull after launching. Easy enough to reattach. The solid wheel models I have used stay attached to the transom, but flip up out of the water after launch. The latter are less likely to get left behind when you go on a trip and really dont interfere at all with casting or fishing lines. I can tell you that both types will kill your cruising speed if you leave them down after launching :)

Also, the increase in weight of a larger boat like the 16 footer you mention means more control is needed when using steep or slippery ramps with transom wheels. Even with a 12 foot tin I have come close to launching the boat by the bow and having it drag me headfirst into the drink.

Yeah I would definitely have to winch it down off the trailer if I got the larger boat and had the transom wheels on it. I'm not set on a 1648, but it seems it would be the best for stability with my family. The other catch-22 is the other lake I want to fish is unpredictable at best. I won't take my boat there in anything but clear weather and even then, I won't venture where I want to go. It's common to hear about boats capsizing and sinking. Clear skies to 4'+ waves in a matter of minutes and strong winds coming out of nowhere on an all-electric lake isn't fun.