Hectic day, but I caught one...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Well, one of the local sites had is annual Spring Tournament yesterday, after being postponed back on the 28th. Somehow or another, we merged it with a benefit tournament that was planned for yesterday as well, to help gain them a number of people. And, because of the fact we were with the benefit tourney, we used a different ramp than we normally would for a T. Anyway, I had an exam I had to take yesterday morning, so I offered to help in any way I could to set up the weigh in/raffle. The guy in charge told me to go get a box of 2000 senkos out of his truck, and bag them in quantities of 10, to give as raffle prizes. No problem. Weigh in is at 3, my test ends at 12, so after grabbing a bite to eat with a couple buddies, I should be over there by 1. Bag senkos for an hour, and I should be able to fish 1.5 hours before the weigh in. It should be over by 4:30, so I can fish for 40 more minutes, then run down to the other end of the lake, where a local crappie fishing group was having a get together at 5:30, then later run back to the ramp.

Well, I tow the boat to the test with me, and then over to lunch. The test ended at 12:30, instead of 12, and I have never seen Taco Bell so crowded. Then, one of my buddies parents was almost 30 minutes late to pick him up, and I decided to wait with him, so I ended up at the ramp at 1:45. The ramp parking lot is PACKED, as is the day use area, as they were having some other festival there as well. I couldn't even turn the boat around in the loop around parking lot, and had to back to the street. I then run up to another ramp, and it to is packed, and due to people parking in no parking areas, I had to back the boat, still strapped in place, down the ramp to turn around. So, I then drive a good ways back to the highway (which is away from the lake), and head towards another ramp, which as the crow flies isn't far, but you have to go around the friggen world to get there. People don't like it much, as you have to go through a long no wake zone around a marina to get to the main lake. Good. Only half full.

So, I put the boat in the water, and make the run over to the first ramp. Now, it is 2:45, and I was told the Senko bagging task would take around an hour, and weigh in is at 3. Tie up on the shoreline, and go to find the right truck. Uh. Where is his truck. I ask one of the guys cooking hot dogs for the weigh in cookout, and he says he saw the guy when they launched, but he too doesn't see his truck now. I call another guy who is also fishing the tournament, as I don't have the phone number of the first guy with me. He tells me that Mike's engine decided to die, so he had to put it on the trailer, and take it to the marina, and will be back for the weigh in. Apparently, the senkos are still in his truck. Well. Nothing for me to do. I ask the guy cooking dogs if he needs any help, since I now have nothing to do, and he says he is good until about 3:15, when he will set up the scales.

So, I hop in the boat, and fish for 30 minutes, right around the ramp. Second cast, produces this guy.
Allatoonabassspringrally2009001.jpg

Nothing more. Back at the ramp, I help set up the scales, then yak with a few of the guys I know there. The ramp is not set up in a way that is ideal for pulling 50 boats out, like some are, so it was tough. A couple of times, we had to get 6 guys to pick up the back of a trailer, and move it over to allow the guy to back out. Throw in a Hummer pulling a Bayliner who hasn't a clue how boat ramps work, and blocked everybody, and pulling folks out took a bit. Then, the raffle and cookout went pretty uneventfully. I won a quart of Royal Purple 2 stroke oil. Probably be the nicest stuff my engine ever has and ever will see, considering I run whatever TC-W3 oil is on sale at a given time.

Then, I had to choose if I should run up lake, put the boat on the trailer, and drive to the crappie meeting, or if I should run down there. Once seeing the 4 foot waves the cruisers stirred up in the main lake, I decided to put it on the trailer, and drive down there, only showing up about 45 minutes late.

When we are leaving, I notice what looks to be some schooling hybrids, so I decide to put in at the ramp that is about 1/4 mile down the road. Now, this ramp is closest ramp that is easily accessible from the interstate to Atlanta, so it is always crowded in the summer, but I figured by 8:00, I could get in pretty quickly. Well, I did. I only sat in the launch line (3 lane ramp, don't get me wrong) for 20 minutes (some people need to learn how to launch). At least the line to launch wasn't 1/4 mile down the road, like I have seen it before.

Well, I fish for another hour, going to both the areas I saw schoolers, and the pumphouse (where Acworth city pumps its water) that has lots of lights shining in the water with nothing. Finally head home around 9:15.

dang man... atleast you caught one fish though so it wasn't a total waste.

Me and Tiffany went to Lathem around 12pm today and all we got were 2 bites..

Captain Ahab said:
So. . . . where are the senkos?

I threw the heck out of Senkos Sunday... with no bites - had my wife throw the best baits because I wanted her to catch something... she threw my rod with the shakey head and every worm that produces for me with no luck.

Saturday I caught every one of my fish (well keepers) on a green pumpkin 6" lizard with a 1/4oz red tungsten bullet weight... I finally found a ditch line at a lake I had never fished. I finally figured out the pattern and caught about 10 fish from the same spot... best 5 fish was just over 8lbs. I'll do a fishing report later tonight.

Dawson - we need to go back up to Carter's... I found them, but it's definitely not a power fishing lake. The power fishers in our group caught 1 fish that weighed 0.77lbs

Captain Ahab said:
So. . . . where are the senkos?
We bagged them, just in handfuls, instead of counts of 5, during the weigh in. One guy ended up getting a 2 pound bulk bag of red shad senkos when we ran out of retail size bags.

I am all for heading back to Carters/rereg. I am hoping that we might see a little more power fishing capabilities for it. This weekend was not for power fishing here on Allatoona either. Apparently, my spinnerbait fish was a fluke. Just about every one else found them on finesse tackle, save for just a few fish from a short window of time. But, I really need to increase my finesse capabilities, if I am going to continue living around here... :shock:

bassboy1 said:
But, I really need to increase my finesse capabilities, if I am going to continue living around here... :shock:

yea... I would strongly suggest it - that's what all of my fish come off of... except for this weekend with the texas rigged lizard

russ010 said:
bassboy1 said:
But, I really need to increase my finesse capabilities, if I am going to continue living around here... :shock:

except for this weekend with the texas rigged lizard
That is still finesse in my book. Heck, suspending jerkbaits are borderline finesse to me, especially on days that a long pause is critical. Power fishing, fast and furious! I need to get into big swimbaits. Had I the money, you bet I would have a Swimbait setup with a Bull Shad or Triple Trout tied on.

Latest posts