help mounting my bow trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhargrove88

Reaction score
im installing my new minn kota 55lb powerdrive to my g3 1449. in the manual that came with it. it states that o have to mount it as close to the center line as i can. why dont i see many people with it in the exact center of the boat. its usually on one side or the other. please let me know where i should mount it. pros and cons if there are any? thanks guys!

It doesnt matter if the angle is to one side or the other, the important thing is that the shaft goes down into the water close to the center. I have mine angled off to my left when i am on the deck, but when i deploy it, the motor is straight down the middle of the boat. I hope that makes sense.

Uh oh, I mounted my bow mount kinda to one side...
What should I expect it to do? Im figurin that its gonna tend to be like an oar paddling on one side and try to circle...oh no... so I bet it will make boat tend to lean due to compensating for side thrust....? Or will it just lose efficiency due to thrust correction/ direction...?
Its a 1460 Jon. Oh well, I guess I'll find out when I get it on the water...

my TM is more than a foot from the centerline, and i notice no effect at all in handling or power loss. i think most people have them somewhat off center due to the kind of boats we use. you shouldn't have any problem.

It doesn't really matter whether it is on center or not.

I have had them both ways for years and the difference in the way the boat tracks is not enough to even talk about.

On anything other than V's or semi V's, it's almost impossible to mount one in the center unless you want it to hang off of the side while stowed or take up an enormous amount of room in the center of the boat.

Many of the manufacturers put their mounting pedestal parallel with the port side straight from the factory.