Help with 12' aluminum v-hull remod.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dambo0708

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site. Looking to do some work to my 12' aluminum v-hull. What I want to do is run a deck from the front of the boat to the middle bench with a storage door in between the front and middle benches and a pedestal seat at the front. Also a deck from the back bench to the back of the boat. This is my first time doing this stuff. Was planning on leaving the benches in for a little added stability. Good idea or no? Also what's the best way to brace the very front of the boat?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 996
Hey, welcome to the site. I have worked on 12 footers and I recommend that one of the first things you do is get the tin in the water, put some ply across the bench tops and see how stable it is...they can be tippy, particularly if overloaded or if the center of gravity is too high. Check out the Decking article at the top of the Boat House forum for some sage advice, as well as the review of mods on this forum. And keep an eye on how much weight you add, small hulls are particularly sensitive. In any event, have fun and be sure to keep us updated on your progress. You get points for lots of pics.

Thanks for the quick response rickybobby. I plan to start on it this coming Sunday. I only plan on putting 2 seats in the boat one in front and one in back. Most of the area of the front deck will be storage. I have about 5" to work with from the top of the bench to the top of the boat. Will be taking pics as I go as well. Like I said I have never done anything like this before but after reading some of the mods on the forum you guys look like you know what you are doing! Lol

Will be a while b4 the boat hits water. Still have 20 some odd inches of ice on lakes here. Was hoping to get it ready b4 thaw. Lol

ive also been told that using cardboard as a layout first makes it a little easier. I suppose you can just use that as a template when cutting your ply? what do you guys think about thickness of the ply? was going to try 1/2" instead of 3/4".

Have a look a the link in my signature below.

It will take you to my 12 footer project which seems similar to what you are planning....:)

I'm also working on ,y casting on a 12 ft v bottom. Great whites boat is awesome! Mines a work in progress. Welcome none the less.

Well today I plan on cutting the back deck and frame. Gonna be a cold one here in WI. 23 degrees and rain/snow on the way. I haven't gotten any carpeting yet so just will be firing the frame and ply. Carpet is next. Will try and get some pics up as progress goes along.

Latest posts