Help with boat blind

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All for now. I have to take more pics, but the blind is all complete. I have two different materials for the blind cover. One is a green military type netting, and the other is camo burlap material. I plan on including raffia grass to both. When I'm done with that, I'll decide (with help from you guys) which side looks better, and complete the opposite side the same way. Maybe the ducks will decide that for me??? The KY wood/teal opener is in 2 days.

Superlative job!!!!

(and nice initial purchase by your wife)

and really a clean installation.

VERY well done.

Now for some duckeses. =P~

Looking good so far! I can't wait to see the finished product as I will be building a boat blind in the near future. One question. Where do you plan on attaching the backing for your camo at the boat level? Are you going to run a piece of pipe along the top of the boat to attach it to?

Actually, I only have it attached to the two top rails. I just let it hang down on the sides. One idea I did think about (if I did want to attach the blind at the boat/waterline level) is to run another length of EMT down the side of the boat and connect to the side of the C-clamp. Bass Pro has the clamps, and they have threads at the top and the side. See pic

Attachments

• Attach Points_1.jpg
    Attach Points_1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 787
Looking good so far! I maybe needing to do a similar project myself soon!

Ok guys, the blind works great. I just wish I could shoot as well as I put this blind together. Today was the wood duck opener, and I had the perfect setup. Ducks flew in @ 7:15 a.m., just as the fog was lifting. I saw the flock, raised the gun, followed the lead duck, pointed the gun (you don't aim a shotgun...), then blam!!! But no ducks on the water... Oh well, here's some more pics of the blind.

Here is how the blind sets up for hunting. I used another section of EMT and some stainless steel hardware to attach. I did "cheat" and used a nylon knob for the bolt that adjusts the height of the blind. I drilled 3 holes along the cross bar to adjust the height for different situations.

Attachments

• DSCF2257.JPG
    DSCF2257.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 780
Ok, here is where I need some feedback. Which side do you think is better? This is the burlap side...

Attachments

• DSCF2260.JPG
    DSCF2260.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 780
  • DSCF2261.JPG
    DSCF2261.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 780
I am working on the "raffia grass" to fill in and blend on both sides. The ducks didn't seem to mind that I didn't have any on it today, but it does need it. Appreciate any and all feedback.

I think both sides have their advantages. The netting will be easier to attach the raffia or other vegetation to, but the burlap makes it more solid and will hide your movement better. My suggestion would be to put the netting on top of the burlap and put raffia or other natural vegetation on top. Looks good!

How'd the blind hold up for you this season? Anything you'd change to make it better? I've been considering a very similar design for my boat.

Hey Eveyone,

The blind held up extremely well. There are some changes that I would recommend, and as soon as I get back to the states, I will make those changes and post them. For me, I like to have some cover over my head when duck hunting, and this design doesn't allow that. So the first change is to make one side longer than the other, basically, the pivot won't be at the center of the boat. I am supposed to be back in the states at the end of May, so give me a few days and all will be completed and posted.

Glad it worked out for ya and thanks for your service. Ive done a little looking around and am having a hard time finding the clamps like yours at a reasonable price. All ive found were around $25 each.