Help..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is nuts.

I would grab a hold of the lower unit and yank it side to side and see if it moves

I bet it does. it should not even budge

you want that mount rock solid. After some use I bet it loosens up

Beagler - You've gotten an overwhelming response to your "Help" posting with the majority of responses being that you're boat is set up incorrectly. You have been told that while you may get by with that mount for a while it is not correct. Over time you will see **** near every kind of oddball setups on the roads to the ramps and out on the water and some people get by with it for a while and some don't. My opinion is that your motor mount is bad to the point of being dangerous and could cause catastrophic failure of your transom or loss of your motor, maybe even while driving to the ramp. Others have correctly observed that it may be "fine" but it's not correct. Bottom line, from the feedback that you're getting, is that it's wrong, regardless of whether a friend of yours thinks it's fine or the dealer thinks it's fine, or if Bass Pro does it like that. (none of those sources will be on the water with you if things go badly). These forums are valuable because we can learn from each other...you asked for help and I believe you have recieved some very good advice. So, here's the deal: it's your boat and your problem and if you want to run that boat like that it's also your risk. Good luck to you.

Folks often talk to salesmen at dealerships. In most cases salesmen don't know their butt from a hole in the ground on proper rigging and set up. A boat sales person at Bass Pro probably sold hunting boots the week before.
I do not know your friend at Miller Marine (about an hour from where I am) but if that person were me I would have a tough time telling you that was a proper set up with a straight face. That is why my first comment was that you should send those photos to Customer Service at Mercury Marine.

Transom clamps(the top of the arch) are designed to rest on transom far as I know.
Any higher should put the screw pressure at risk of being the higher torque location and break the stock that screws go through, if screws are secure with their high location in the O.P. pics and don't slip before then.

Sorry guys been out on the water all weekend. I gotta figure out what to do. If i lower it, then the C plate wont be even. So ib guess i need a jack plate. Sucks.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

it doesnt have to be perfectly even. Its not on my large boat and its fine

you could always try it

as momule asked but I did not see an answer for,is this a long shaft motor on a transom designed for a short shaft? Doesnt look like like a long shaft from the pics but I dont really know on these new motors

well if its a short shaft motor and the transom still is not high enough then either Alumacraft is building boats with not enough transom height (seems impossible) or its designed for a different type of motor, perhaps a jet drive?

I have no idea but this just does not make any sense to me that they have mounted the motor like that if its a short shaft

perhaps someone with more knowledge of this will help me to understand

thanks

I decided I'm going to buy a jack plate but right now I've been working so much I don't even have time to think about that at the exact moment

Man that is a weird set up they left you with... There is no way I would be spending more money trying to fix it as they are the ones that incorrectly assembled it.

Let us know how the jack pate works.

Well i know if i go to the dealer, somehow there going to want to charge me for the jackplate. Even tho i picked out the hull, and motor seperate and THEY installed it.

I'm still with Pappy on this. Maybe contact customer service at Mercury first to see what they say. Or just suck it up and take it back to the dealer. Nobody wants a disgruntled customer.

Well the dealer said they will lower it down any way i want but the cav plate will be lower.

Ok i sent the pictures to merc with my concerns.

Heres the response..

"Looks fine! It through bolted as required."

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,
Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
Ref.# 2016-

I would want 4 bolts going through the motor bracket into the transom and not use the clamps. I would definitely get some larger washers for the 2 bolts you have to help displace the pressure on the transom. Even with a jackplate you'll want 4 bolts going through the transom.

Every boat is built differently. If you have a 15" "shaft" motor, then theoretically you'd need a 15" transom....BUT problem is, every manufacturer is a little different. Tohatsu's 15" might be 15.750" from the clamp to the AV plate. Yamaha might be 14.875". Etec might be 15" even. All examples. They're "supposed" to be the same but there are differences.

Then boats....war Eagle uses a 16" transom, which works with most 15" motors. Tracker might use a 15.5" transom. Same with the motor deal, they're all different-just slightly.

So what you're seeing is a rigger who installed the motor in the best safe position. You might not like it. But there was at some point someone (or some people) who griped about water running up the leg and into the motor well, or griped about being slow. So they figured, hey lets raise the motor a little and solve those problems.

This type stuff is exactly why working for the public sucks. Screwed if you do it one way, screwed if you do it another. Can't please everyone. And honestly I'm about to give up trying.

Ok i finally got time to install a jackplate. Found it for 100 bucks.

Installed with 1/2 in bolts and 3m marine transom sealant.

So it had to be raised up higher then it previously was to be able to get the CAV plate level.

Is that normal?IMG_4325.JPGIMG_4326.JPGIMG_4327.JPG