Holy Refurb Project!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fuel tanks will be accessed by a hatch on each side, hinged in the center so I can fill up without getting in the boat. I was running out of time when I got that top sheet done yesterday, I'll have more on Monday when I get back from Boston. Appreciate all the good comments!!!!!

Just wanted to stop in and let you all know that while I didn't get any work done on the boat this weekend, I did take part in something HUGE! We went to Boston this weekend to participate in the AVON walk for Breast Cancer. My friend Tessa was our walker and we ARE the "Boobie Groupies"...thus the boats name :)

Home now, class is almost over, but the weather here in Maine is not cooperating with the project completion plans!!! I'll work on getting the motor going perhaps tomorrow, and may even have it mounted by the weekend. All things considered, I am still on track for my Memorial Day launch!!!

The engine started!!!! I was quite excited with that considering it is almost as old as me! Pulled the plugs and took a quick peek to make sure there was no residue and cranked it over to make sure everything was moving properly. Had to figure out where the lack of spark was coming from...that would be the "i fell off the boat switch" that I had to rewire and move.

Broke out the soldering iron and tinned all the connections, pulled the wires through and then...like magic...VROOM!

I only ran it for a minute to make sure, I can't find my earmuffs but that problem will be solved tomorrow. Next...mount the beast!! This weekend is out unfortunately, Friday I teach Docs and nurses about sick kids, Saturday my EMT class takes thier National Registry exam in the morning, the afternoon I have to grade a station at the exam, Sunday I teach CPR...Monday...ahhhhhhh Engine time!

I have a video on my phone of the engine running just have to figure out how to get it to my computer and then I'll add it here.

Thanks again to all of you for keeping tabs and offering advice. This is the GREATEST site!!!!

Well the weather outside is frightful...just like the Christmas carol...the weather in coastal Maine is HORRIBLE! I have braved the rain and chilly temps for a few hours this past week, got my framework for the rear deck finished and gusseted up for "the fat kid". I have a few more plywood cuts to make to finish the deck up.

I did get the outboard mounted, and the cables run the other day. I ran my teleflex cable through the tilt tube as I had planned, and I am not sure if I am going to be able to use it that way. I mocked up a steering rod with some threaded rod I had laying around, and I can turn left really well...not so much to the right. So I adjusted my linkage and I noticed that my motor does not turn half as much as it did with the transom bracket mount. I am somewhat depressed! I lost a lot of swing in the engine and I am thinking that the actual rod on the end of teleflex cable is not long enough to support this part of my project. So.....I will pull it all out tomorrow and go back to the transom bracket (insert various explitives here).

I did get some help from my BEAUTIFUL honey, she is so excited to see how close we are to launching and she wanted carpet in the boat. So...we cleaned up the wood deck, and layed the first piece of carpet on the fore deck. I think I was a bit to liberal with the glue however, I only noticed it after she tried to get up after sitting on the new carpet to staple the hidden edges...she was stuck! It was a good laugh for us both, then she realized that her pants were covered in glue that had seeped through the carpet. No biggie for me, I fish off the back!

So tomorrow I will snap some pics and update you all on Thursday, hoping to have more carpet installed and the steering issue fixed as well. Til then...BE SAFE

As planned, I am ready for launch this weekend!

got home yesterday after a nasty 24 on the ambulance and went to work. Pulled the engine mounting bolts back out one at a time and poked the sealant to the holes, then added the locktite to the bolts/nuts. That done, I went to work on my hinge for the rear deck. I hate the tiny screws that they supply and decided to get creative. I drilled out the holes in the hinge large enough to take a rivet, then drilled through and into a gussett plate on the underside. Worked like a champ! Nice smooth finish too!

Carpet was next, I have to add that doing it alone was NOT an easy task to say the least...144 square feet, one man...OYE! Layed the glue, and one section at a time layed the carpet over and trimmed the edges. Got the main deck, rear deck and sides done, then wrapped the console support. By the way, it was a wonderful 70 degrees, bright and sunny, so....the fat kid let Budha out to see the light (mistake I think...today anyway...I'm hurting!)

I finished the two tone paint, taped off the edges, and rattle canned the sides and transom with a dark blue which if I say so myself, was a fantastic idea!

I have an EMS run at 0900, I'll post pics when I return. thanks again everyone! Could not have done it without your help, support, and ideas!

Bob

Pictures for you to enjoy! Thanks again for all the support and ideas!

Attachments

• 2011-05-25 14.24.08.jpg
    2011-05-25 14.24.08.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,045
  • 2011-05-25 14.24.15.jpg
    2011-05-25 14.24.15.jpg
  • 2011-05-25 14.24.34.jpg
    2011-05-25 14.24.34.jpg
  • 2011-05-25 16.22.58.jpg
    2011-05-25 16.22.58.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,045
  • 2011-05-25 17.06.45.jpg
    2011-05-25 17.06.45.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,045
Jacket? LOLOLOL! You must be what the folks up here call a flat lander! I was sans shirt and have the burns to prove it! There will be no pictures of that BTW...Nobody likes to see a fat kid! Thank you for the boost and the comments!

It is 93 on my back porch right now. Trade ya for some of that 70 degree weather, but you keep the stuff under 50 and dont even think of sending any of that white stuff this way. I'll take me some Moose though.

Mike, I'll split the difference with ya. You send some warm up here, and I'll work on getting the snow to hang out along the central east coast...like Washington DC or someplace like that. That being said, I need some COLD to make ice for ICE FISHING over the winter.

Waterwings, thank you!!!!

As planned, the launch took place Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. A fitting tribute to my brothers and sisters, as well as my beloved brothers who fell in battle. It was a fine Maine day, the water was calm, and my honey and I had the day off! I did some finish work, zip ties, touch up paint, and loaded it up.
Off we went to the campground, backed into the ramp, and with the drain plug in place, pushed her off the bunks. She floated (First good sign), I pulled the boat along side the trailer, hopped in and it started right up (Second good sign). We parked the rig and walked back down, just my honey and I and all the fish in the pond! We took off like a rocket...loosing all that weight made a HUGE difference!!! We were porposing bad, last trim setting was good with the extra estimated 1500 pounds of wet foam, there was enough power left over that when I punched it...it rocked me back on my heels!

The first fishing hole was productive right out of the box! Had a nice little baby bass colored swim bait, cast, sploosh, tap tap tap, FISH ON! The weekend was great, that swim bait was awesome, and we caught both smallmouth and largemouth bass every day. Here are some pics!

Just want to add again that I could not have done it without my honey's support, your ideas, and constant push and helpful tips!

Attachments

• launch day.jpg
    launch day.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 464
  • first cast!.jpg
    first cast!.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 464
  • cruisin!.jpg
    cruisin!.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Big Smallie.jpg
    Big Smallie.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 464
  • day 3 largemouth.jpg
    day 3 largemouth.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 464
Totally awesome report....but for crying out loud...get some sun on those legs. :shock: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Love that smallie! Need to get on some of those before the year ends for sure!

That smallie was awesome! I did nail it with a swim bait but momma did not get the pic with the bait so I cannot submit it! And yeah...Long Maine winters are bad for my legs! LOLOL!

I still have to measure the width of my seat...that smallie was as long as the seat was wide...I was SMILING!

Well it has been a great few weeks out on the Boobie Groupie! I have noticed a few minor details that I think I have finally addressed.
First was the feeling of a lack of top end and the idle speed was way to high. I dug around and read my OMC manual over and over, then it clicked. The timing armature was not allowing the timing to retard enough to allow a nice slow idle. That being said, it was not adjusted properly to allow WOT either. I set the timing stop screw to factory spec (1/2 inch showing past lock nut) and then adjusted the linkage to the throttle plate. Followed the sync proceedure for the carbs and what to my wondering eyes...full closed throttle at idle setting, and WOT where it is supposed to be! Threw the muffs on and fired up the beast, it idles very nice and very quietly. I raised the warmup lever, idle increased to the "start" mark, and when I closed it, it acutally idled back down to a nice quiet setting....ahhhhhhhhhh.
The other thing I noticed was that the old hydrofoil rig that the PO had put on was not really offering me too much in the form of lift...I had a plan! Last night I took a 16X24 sheet of heavy aluminum that was under the decking of the boat originally. I made my measurements, marked and cut it so it would fit over the cavitation plate and around the shaft housing. Using some leftover 1/4-20 SS hardware, I drilled and secured my new plate. Now I have some overhang behind the prop, which was lacking horribly with the old two peice unit. I also gained some lateral support...10 inches on either side! I did not much like the giant rectangle hanging off the back of my motor, so I made some more measurements, and a few more cuts and have a nice looking hydrofoil! The idea comes from a unit that I had on another boat with a Volvo I/O and it was an amazing difference. Hoping to give it a try tomorrow, and will have an update with some performance notes as well for you guys.
here are some pics! let me know what you think! BTW...the fish as SLAMMING up here in Maine! Stay safe, and enjoy!

Attachments

• 2011-06-08 19.34.35.jpg
    2011-06-08 19.34.35.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 452
  • 2011-06-08 19.35.01.jpg
    2011-06-08 19.35.01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 452
So my home made, molly hocked hydrofoil is...well..AMAZING! Honey and I took off for a short jaunt at a local pond near the house where I knew I could open it up a bit. I have not been out since adjusting the controls and timing settings so I was excited for a wet test. The engine fired right up, and idles nice a quiet, looking over the stern at the hydrofoil..it was huge! We backed out into deeper water and I lowered the motor with my armstrong tilt control, took the helm and hammered the throttle. The bow barely lifted and in seconds I was on plane and gaining speed. It was very well balanced, there was no porposing, and looking back over the stern, it was riding on top of the water nicely. I took out my phone and openned up my speedometer application, and I fast became disapointed. By GPS we were only doing 33 MPH. I would easilly have figured nearer to 40 with the weight loss from the rebuild. It is a 70HP motor....on a 16 foot Mod V....

I still have some tweaking to do to the engine, while the idle was nice, it would choke out and die. I think its all in the timing...I'm going to let out the timing arm stop a bit more and increase the idle stop screw a turn or so on the next outing and try it again. I'm also shopping for a bigger prop, the one on there is a 15 pitch.....I'm going for the 19!

If any of you have any ideas, please holler.

Thanks!

Bob