how did you make your a pattern for cutting plywood decks??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcritch said:
I lined up the sheet on my center line and let the plywood overhang the outside edge of the boat. I then marked the outside edge with a sharpie. I then had one more straight cut down the center line.

I agree with this. We did ours ( https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2537 ) with 2 pieces of 4X8 plywood. We layed it over the boat with it overlapping in the middle and still hanging over the sides. We marked the curve of the bow with a pencil and cut it. We then put the two cut pieces back in the boat lined up with the curved side in position where it will sit, snapped a chaulk line in the middle and cut it. Also, remember...carpet will cover any gaps in the middle (up to a certain amount...)

I'm really impressed with the many different ways to accomplish the same thing! And, the different ways are all good! :D

However, I gotta say that I'm not impressed with my boat modification efforts! Nope, I'm sorry...but I haven't done a single thing since cutting out the cardboard!

i wish that I had been off playing with my other toys, but, the truth is that I've been building a rock wall along side a walkway at my home. Plus pruning some trees, mowing grass...you know the normal everyday stuff. :roll: :roll:

But, soon, I'm sure!

i did min by starting with a large piece of cardboard and then i used some old boxes and just took strips of the cardboard and just kept taping more pieces on till i got the shape i needed pretty easy to do because if your boat is anything like my boat not all the curves and edges were the same.. i needed a custom piece to fit if you are still working on this i hope this helps

Thanks Bob, for the information.

Sadly, I've been tied up with other home projects these past few weeks.

And, as you know, the wind here in Oklahoma has been blowing a gale for weeks and weeks! The strong wind sure doesn't motivate me to want to work on my boat. :shock:

I may just buy some cane poles and go bank fishing! :roll:

Well, here it is the day before Thanksgiving Day, and the simple project I started back in May is still a work in progress!

Talk about being old and slow! I'm sure there must be good reasons why this project stalled out...and as soon as I can think of any I'll let you know.

However, other than bolting or screwing the hull's side braces down to the newly made bow deck, and adding a trim board on the aft end of the bow deck, my bow decking project is finished!

OK, it also needs a coat or two on the underside of the hatch,...and someday I might actually get around to splashing some more paint there!

About the only things I did different than most of the bow deck projects was the lesser degree of workmanshiip displayed, the opening at the bow for a anchor bucket, and the space left around the edges of the bow deck for ventilation. Oh yes, the deck will have a paint/sand coating...sooner or later.

Photo showing the anchor bucket opening:

Bow%20anchor%20space.JPG

Photo showing space with anchor bucket in place:

Bow%20anchor%20space%202.JPG

Photo showing the bow deck with hatch closed. You can see the hull side braces that need attaching. You can also see the finger hole I drilled. My middle name is CHEAP! However, my story is that the hole adds ventilation...and ventilation is one cure for dry rot.

Bow%20deck%202.JPG

And last, a photo showing the bow deck with the hatch open. I'm thinking about adding a 1 x 4 to the aft edge of the bow deck to hide the ugly ends of the bow deck. :roll: :roll:

Bow%20deck%201.JPG

And that is it! Who knows...I might even be able to go fishing sometime in the future! I wasn't able to get the boat's hull wet one single time this past year!

But, I have great hopes for the future! :p

Jim, FishingBuds, & Big Buck,

Thank you for the kind words!

They made me feel so good that I went out and added two more coats of red paint to the underside of the hatch!

But, now I'm so wore out i've got to take a nap! :wink: