How do you attach trolling motor in bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
I have a 14' jon with a large casting deck on the front, and I want to put a bow-mount trolling motor on it. Now that I have it home here, I'm wondering how that's accomplished. There's no way to put bolts in and reach under to hold the nuts while you tighten the bolts down...it's way out of reach up in there. Do people use some sort of self-tapping heavy duty screws, or what, to secure the trolling motor mount to the aluminum casting deck?

Related...it looks to me like I'll need some sort of a riser in order to clear the lip along the front of the bow, when mounting the trolling motor. What's usually used for that?

Cool...they go in kind of like a dry wall anchor! I looked at a few other YouTube videos about rivet nuts and it looks like they take some expensive tools to use. If I'm just putting in, say, six of them, is it practical to just use a couple crescent wrenches to crank them in, or will that work OK?

The other immediate need is some kind of riser. I could have sworn I came across a link to a guy who fabricates things like that out of aluminum, for sale through his web site, and the link was right at this site, but I can't find it now.

Bassboy1 runs FishOnFab and is a sponsor here. He can build you darn near anything.

Depending on the height of the lip you could make a spacer from wood (not treated) and coat it with a good spar varnish or epoxy.

As far as the installation tool for the rivet nuts Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive kit that works ok and includes rivet nuts. Not the best quality tool but it will do the job and I think it's about $15 for the kit.

But if you want something super professional contact Bassboy1!