How long before engine starts pumping water???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spinfisher said:
ditchen said:
I am sure you will see a cylinder down on compression and you will have to pull the head.

If your lucky it maybe a bad head gasket, which is cheap and easy vs a rebuild.

I checked the compression 60 on one 65 on the other . Pulled the head and no scoring on the cylinders. Whats next?? The guy I borrowed the tester from said that this is common with the johnsons. I took a straight edge across the head and looks flat! Game is starting now, I'll check back later Thanks Spin

If it were mine, while the head is off, I would flush out the cooling system with a water hose on the water tube. Replace the thermostat and head gasket. Also, change the impeller/water pump.

If there's no scoring I'd take the motor apart check the clearances & if your lucky you might be able to get away with honing & a new set of rings.When a motor gets hot the first thing to go is the rings.They loose the spring to make them seal against the cylinder walls.I wouldn't spend no money until you take it apart & see what you got.
And the comment(is common with the johnsons)what is meant by that :?:

jasper60103 said:
spinfisher said:
ditchen said:
I am sure you will see a cylinder down on compression and you will have to pull the head.

If your lucky it maybe a bad head gasket, which is cheap and easy vs a rebuild.

I checked the compression 60 on one 65 on the other . Pulled the head and no scoring on the cylinders. Whats next?? The guy I borrowed the tester from said that this is common with the johnsons. I took a straight edge across the head and looks flat! Game is starting now, I'll check back later Thanks Spin

If it were mine, while the head is off, I would flush out the cooling system with a water hose on the water tube. Replace the thermostat and head gasket. Also, change the impeller/water pump.

Thanks for responding.
I'm going to replace the stat, and gasket, clean it all up. the impeller was changed about a year ago. I had a good stream of water before I pulled the head.

crazymanme2 said:
If there's no scoring I'd take the motor apart check the clearances & if your lucky you might be able to get away with honing & a new set of rings.When a motor gets hot the first thing to go is the rings.They loose the spring to make them seal against the cylinder walls.I wouldn't spend no money until you take it apart & see what you got.
And the comment(is common with the johnsons)what is meant by that :?:

The comment was from a friend of my who said he's had to change his head gasket 3 times over the years that he had owned a johnson. In the Delta here in Ca. we run into a low water weeds and though this is the first time it's happen to me, it's not the first time that I been out and someone stats clogg. I'll know better next time from his experience. The comment wasn't to knock Johnson, just passing along info.

well parts showed up on wed. and on the motor friday. started it up today, 3 rd pull! started and warmed it up. i adjusted the carb about a half a turn and now she idols great. one question, i've noticed water bleeding from the inside of the cowling and i can't get a good location on it. i did tourge the head bolts and the water cover but i don't see any water there. i have a good stream at the pee hole any ideals?? thanks spin

Latest posts