How to balance my jon boat with an oversized motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reedjj: does your 1542 have a keel directly in the center of the boat or are the keels spaced so you get a clean apron of water going to the jet foot? I have a keel right in the center so I think I lose a couple of horses there. Just something to keep in mind. But ya, I would definitely go for the 50/30 or 40/25. My Evinrude 25 with a pump just isn't quite enough for two people...it takes too long to get on plane and while it's trying I am running the risk of sucking up rocks or even hitting submerged boulders. Plus the top speed is about 20 with one person, 16 with two.

It has one right down the middle with the plug in it at the stern. I don't have a motor just yet. I kinda gave up on the jet being that everyone here in FL thinks I am nutz for wanting one. I have been looking for a nice prop short shaft. But if I find a jet at a good price Im gonna get it. I don't care what they say!

I don't know a lot about them other than I really wanna be able to run shallow, and I just think they're cool.

If you are losing power because of lack of flow of water to the foot due to the keel (I think thats what your saying??) you could try to play with the height of the foot a few mm down or maybe adding a jack plate (if you don't already have one) That would not only give you the ability to adjust up or down but it would also move the foot to the rear a few inches, giving you just that little bit of opportunity for clean water to enter the foot.

Like I said, I am no expert, but just from observation, and a lot of time researching jets I know that getting a good positive flow to the foot is very important. Just like with regular water pump any air or cavitation is going to cause a loss of output or in our case thrust/hp/tourque. The same goes for air to a turbo. You want the cleanest smoothest flow to the intake. Thats why tunnell hulls are so effective with jets. The hull basically acts like a RamAir (or ram water)system for the foot/intake. I would think that adding floatation pods and moving the jet foot back and inch or 2 would have the same effect. Flow of water from under the hull would rise right into the foot between the pods as it travels rearward.

I don't think over powering by a few HP's with a jet is as dangerous with a jet as it is with a prop. With jets you don't get the instant hit you do with a prop. There is turbo lag, so the stress on the transom is less of an issue.

Of course jet ski'***** pretty hard when you nail them. Fender66 has a 225Jet and I bet it hits like a 69 chevelle!

I have messed with raising and lowering the motor and as far as top speed with one person is concerned, it is set just right. Thats a good idea about trying to move the motor back some. One of those spray plates would be nice too. The the anti-cavitation fins would just get torn to shreds in a couple of minutes around here though.

fatherfire89 said:
Lots of good input here, Gentleman. Thanks for the weights of motors richg99. Sounds like I can balance the added motor weight in the back by putting the battery in the front. And compensate for the center console in front of the rear bench by moving the gas tank up front. Any ideas on how to run a fuel line from front to back while keeping it relatively protected/concealed? Maybe I'll add float pods on the back if it is needed.
I have my fuel tank mounted up front. I ran 3/8" automotive fuel line in the space behind the ribs along the splash rail.