I can smell gas even after tightening cap.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey

Reaction score
I have a heavy duty plastic five gallon gas can. No matter how much I tighten the cap, I can still smell gas. It looks like the container is in good shape, but I can't seem to get rid of the odor. The only place I have to store the gas can is in a small garage. I wonder how much vapor is really coming out, and if the garage door opener could cause an explosion. Do you think that any odor at all, regardless of how feint, is cause for alarm? What would be a better way to store the gas if the garage is the only place I have to store it?

Most gas tanks on small motors like mowers, snow blowers, weed wackers are vented and produce some fumes, usually not enough to notice the odor. The fumes that are there should be at the floor level as they are heavier than air and should not get as high as the opener. If you live in a warmer climate the gas can might be pressurizing do to the heat and forcing some of the vapor outs.

Depending on what type of container and who manufactured it, the cap may be a self venting cap and that’s why you smell the fumes. Better to let it vent than to have it crack at a seam and let the fuel leak all over. If it’s really a heavy odor I would just invest in another container.

It has a vent hole that can also be capped. I cranked down on both caps and don't think I smell it anymore.

Latest posts