I need a Saltwater Reds/Speck Spinning Reel/Rod Combo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRB357

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I need to add a few spinning reels to my arsenal. Inshore red fish and speckled trout in shallow water mostly. I’m a cheap azz overall, but will spend for good stuff. Any suggestions?

It gets used in fresh and salt. Well brackish really but this year the Chesapeake and its tributaries had the highest salinity level in atleast a decade due to lack of rain in the northeast

I opened up and cleaned/lubed my old Calcutta, used it one time, opened it up again and there was salt inside😳 Our salinity is high too right now.

Penn Pursuit IV any good? Price is right for me. I need
Never used the pursuit but wouldn't be afraid to try it. Penn has a pretty solid reputation even their basic reels tend to be reliable. I hose everything down good with salt away after every bay trip. This year I only fished the northern most part of the Chesapeake ( Susquehana flats) and after a 12hr day on the water the salt line on my black hull was pretty shocking.

Penn Pursuit IV any good? Price is right for me. I need 2.
Penn Pursuit III is on my surf rod. My son uses one too. I'm guessing the Pursuit III model was replaced with the IV. I don't know the difference. I like it a lot and also thought the price was attractive back when I purchased it. I have an Okuma on the other rig I use for surf fishing. Both reels are good. I like the Penn better.

In very general terms I think you will be good with any of the established brand names like Penn, Daiwa, etc. I question that there is a lot of difference between the models at similar price points. I might be all wet, but that is my perception.

I’m a newbie with saltwater fishing. I’ve done a decent amount of bass fishing over my 51 years, but very casually. Toledo Bend and the basin lakes. Only when invited every few years. I grew up 1 mile from Atchafalaya basin and about 8 miles from the Gulf. So I know a little bit, just never was a hobby of mine. So technical knowledge of stuff like reels/rods/ tackle etc I’m a newbie.

You guys are going to laugh at me, but I am extremely impressed with this reel after two seasons:

kast king.jpg

It's a KastKing Centron bought off Amazon. I fish the salt, and this reel has been absolutely flawless! I use it over my Stradics and Presidents. This thing is butter!

A buddy has been telling me about these reels for years, but I didn't think they would hold up. Then I used one of his on a trip, and was impressed, and it was years old. I bough it, thinking at worst, it would be a beater reel I lent to guests, but my buddy was right - It's one of the finest reels I own. I could post pics of stripers, specs and reds caught with it, but this little reel is amazing.

In fact, I just ordered two more, just in case they run out.

Oh, and for me, the 2000 size is perfect for reds and trout, filled with 15# braid.

A great trout/red rod is a G. Loomis Mag Bass 843 (or similar) That combo is the bomb. Have caught many, many fish up to 50# with that setup.

Last edited:
You guys are going to laugh at me, but I am extremely impressed with this reel after two seasons:

View attachment 118391

It's a KastKing Centron bought off Amazon. I fish the salt, and this reel has been absolutely flawless! I use it over my Stradics and Presidents. This thing is butter!

A buddy has been telling me about these reels for years, but I didn't think they would hold up. Then I used one of his on a trip, and was impressed, and it was years old. I bough it, thinking at worst, it would be a beater reel I lent to guests, but my buddy was right - It's one of the finest reels I own. I could post pics of stripers, specs and reds caught with it, but this little reel is amazing.

In fact, I just ordered two more, just in case they run out.
Lot of guys in the Catfish scene are using Kast King reels both spinning and round reels and praise them highly. I've never tried one but if any of my abu garcias ever wear out ill be getting the kastking rover round reel.

I am just curious here, if I went crappie fishing with a bass rod and reel, would the crappie not bite because I had the wrong rod ?? Do the fish really care whose name is on the rod ?? Just wondering if I should go find some rods and reels that say for perch only !!! .....lol....

I am just curious here, if I went crappie fishing with a bass rod and reel, would the crappie not bite because I had the wrong rod ?? Do the fish really care whose name is on the rod ?? Just wondering if I should go find some rods and reels that say for perch only !!! .....lol....

Different gear is needed for each species -- when justification for new gear expenditures are needed. :D

I think that Penn Pursuit model that you previously mentioned is considered a saltwater reel.
Yeah and it’s about $80, so I’m getting one. I actually bought one yesterday from Academy but realized after I got home it’s a 4000 size reel. A bit overkill for what I’m doing. Going to return it and get a 3000.