installing bow mount to decking???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhargrove88

Reaction score
I'm brand new to bow mounted trolling motors, the new boat I just bought being my first to ever be able to hold one. My boat is a 2009 G3 1448. The front of the boat is aluminum decking that's 53" X 27" 1/2 X 46" 1/2. Now to install a bow mounted motor, I'm going to have to secure a plywood deck over the aluminum right? How do you secure said plywood? Glue? Screws? Bolts? What is the strongest, most used method? I'm planning to use 3/4" marine plywood.

You can get an actual bow mount that is made for boats like yours... it's made out of aluminum and bolts into the floor with molly bolts. The bracket I'm talking about is shaped like this __|-----|__ ... that kinda sucks, but the dashed lines will be at the very top of those vertical lines and the lower lines are what is bolted to the deck.. it's just a raised bracket.
You can also look at this one : https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7400&p=78064#p78064 to see what I'm talking about... it's similar

I attached plywood to my deck by screwing 3-1/2" long lag screws (stainless steel) straight into the bow, and it works great for me... some people don't like screwing into the bow, but it's up to you.

Thanks for the quick reply Russ! I'm new to the site. I'm all over BassBarn and never heard of this site. So, if I get that bracket, I just screw THAT to my stock aluminum deck? or do I still have to add the plywood? I talked to the guys at G3, and they said the only accessory they make for this boat is a Bow mounted trolling motor bracket. I guess that's what they are talking about, said my dealer can hook me up. HIt me back and let me know about that bracket. Thanks again