Irma

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just now starting to get some wind and rain from Irma. Continuing prayers for our state. Hoping all of us make it with as little trauma as possible.
Please check in as soon as it passes to let us know you are okay.

Best to all, John

It's 03:15 and the winds have laid down. The genset did really well and we cooked, had TV and DVDs a big industrial strength squirrel cage fan is keeping the house a livable temperature.

A few cracked trees and debris all around was the worst of the damage.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Sounds like the surge got to my friend's house, but everyone in the family is OK. They only bought it earlier this year after moving down from CT. Waiting to hear how bad it is once they can get back to it. They are south of Fort Meyers and took a direct hit as it made landfall.

By the sounds of it there wasn't anywhere in FL that wasn't impacted to some extent or another, downed trees are one thing, a state full of them over every road is an entirely different matter.

Irma was nothing here. A bit of wind. A bit of rain. Higher than normal tides. We had a worse storm a couple of weeks ago.

They lifted the mandatory evacuation order 4 hours after it started. They reversed our highway, but nobody really left, so they quickly reversed it right back. We're in "Zone A" so we were technically still under a mandatory evacuation, but that advice was only taken by people who live directly on the water, or on the islands.

We drove the whole city today. 4 downed trees. Minor flooding of low areas and roads, particularly as you approach the rivers and marshes. Some minor power outages. Nothing compared to Matthew last October. Our city will be back in business tomorrow.

Saw this on River Street...

riverst.jpg

Lots and lots of lucky people. We have three friends here in TN. who have Florida houses near Ft Myers. None of them had any water or other damage.

Once again, the weather forecasters predicted far worse than what happened. I worry that the next time there is a cat. 4/5 coming, no one will pay attention. THAT will be the one that slams them.

It fizzled pretty quick. I would have thought it would have stayed a hurricane much longer than it did. Thank goodness my thoughts don't mean much. We had a couple of winds here near 50 mph and a couple of drenching bands of rain but all in all it was minor compared to what I was expecting. I hope everyone here is safe and didn't loose much if anything to this storm.

I'm happy that Irma came in at less than the maximum possible loss scenario. Many avoided a potentially horrible situation. My thoughts still go out to everyone who lost a loved one and all of those many who suffered property damage as a result of this storm.

S Tampa 1/3ed of the way down the peninsula here. We're Crackers and heavily prepped. Only big loss was half my 60' Cedar that was the highlight of my 30 years of landscaping. Went through my new fence bounced off my neighbors barrel tile roof and ended up resting across her pool.

Only out of juice for a few days, no biggie I have 4 genny's (loaned out 2) and a wall A/C unit in the master. We were super lucky, my heart goes out to all those that took the brunt of this calamity.

script>

Glad that you lucked out. Most of the guys that have posted on the various fishing sites that I frequent got away with little damage.

Of course, some who haven't yet posted may be out of power and just too darn busy to post.

richg99 said:
Glad that you lucked out. Most of the guys that have posted on the various fishing sites that I frequent got away with little damage.

Of course, some who haven't yet posted may be out of power and just too darn busy to post.

Thanks Rich, we're only out the $1,600 to get the other half of the cedar removed. Double click left to zoom in and check out the poor folks in the Middle Keys.https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

I would imagine it will take a Herculean effort to get power, water and sewer restored just so residents can finally return. Months at least.

Big laurel oak blew over onto the house. The roots took out about 20ft of driveway, but little damage to the house. Of course it's going to be about $8k just to get the tree off the roof, and another $500 to get the utility mast and meter box repaired. Then we can take a look at the roof. On the bright side, no one was harmed, critters are okay, and the boat rode out the storm just fine.
I think Irma pretty much fizzled when she got just north of us, but Key West was beat up pretty bad, and they say Jacksonville took a good hit too.
Some people say "thought and prayers" are useless, but I will send them to all just the same.

John